The journey

smellingtherose
Occasional Contributor

The journey

Never were truer words said - ONE DAY AT A TIME! BY the way just lovin this site - it does help I thought it would be a good idea to Blog my progress - i dont want to forget how far I have come and truely you guys are the only ones apart from myself that care. Hard to believe other peoples reactions - well we all know - its all over your all better WAT! They have all got on with there lives while Im still trying to manage mine. I am doing well. 14-WEEKS-POST-SURGERY almost pain free enjoying walking every day back at work - requested light duties- part time hours have enjoyed spending my first pay in 6 mths still very tired - try to rest when I need it leg pain if I stand for too long just this week I noticed that I can sit on a hard chair without too much discomfort my 18yr old son has stopped being angry at me (sometimes) still need to watch wat I eat/ bowel still not happy/some discomfort and pressure when I pee, Im sure theres something I have foregotten, well doesnt sound too bad I guess - I didnt think going back to work would be so exhausting - I have chemobrain without chemo - oh well Going for the big checkup next week will keep you all posted Love to all my new friends (the ones that just let you cry when you need to)
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Not applicable

Re: The journey

Hey Smelling the Roses, Your not wrong one day at a time. Good on you for all your progress, Your still here and that is what counts! Im going to my planning for radiotherapy tomorrow, (22.2.12) not looking forward to it, being a natural person at heart, dont like the idea of submitting my body to radiation, but I have the sense so know that I need to beat this SCC with something harsher than an op and good luck! Hope all going well your way Hugs Leesa
0 Kudos
Mignon
Contributor

Dear Smelling the Roses, we are all with you...Go Girl !!! Cheers Mignon.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I read somewhere here your comment about boys not getting it. My boys have not been at all inclined to discuss my having cancer ,They are 40 and 31 years old. Fortunately I have a daughter in between and she shared nearly every detail. During the lead up to my surgry almost 2 years ago I wondered if it would become too much for her as she had a family of her own and a baby on the way. She was great ,still is regarding my follw-ups.
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

My then 18 year old never came to the hospital and has only recenetly discussed any of my treatment and ongoing checkups etc. (diagnosed in August 20007)because his girlfriend asked about it. I was very angry at him for a long time but I have come to realise that it was his way of managing. I know that he will be no different if it ever comes back. My younger son was, and still is, very different - loving and thoughtful and needing to discuss what had happened to me. What cancer teaches us is that everyone responds differently to the diagnosis and treatment, both patients and those around us. I think it has taught me to be more tolerant and accepting in many ways.
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

My then 18 year old never came to the hospital and has only recenetly discussed any of my treatment and ongoing checkups etc. (diagnosed in August 20007)because his girlfriend asked about it. I was very angry at him for a long time but I have come to realise that it was his way of managing. I know that he will be no different if it ever comes back. My younger son was, and still is, very different - loving and thoughtful and needing to discuss what had happened to me. What cancer teaches us is that everyone responds differently to the diagnosis and treatment, both patients and those around us. I think it has taught me to be more tolerant and accepting in many ways.
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.