Welcome

Oldannie
New Contributor

Welcome

Hi everyone, Welcome to the new cancer survivors section within our online community. This space is for you to communicate with others who may be on a similar journey. From time to time I will post articles I come across that may assist cancer survivors, their family, carers and friends. Meanwhile, jump on to our new forum and share your thoughts and keep in mind that our new "Living well after Cancer" programs are being held in many locations around the state over the next month.  Location details are on our website www.cancercouncil.org.au Speak to you soon, anniem
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
anniem
Cancer Council NSW

Welcome

Hi Jenny, Thanks so much for joining in and sharing. You are not alone with the dry mouth.  I hear about this regularly. Im not sure whether you have had a look at this website, however there is some good information on it regarding the challenge of a dry mouth. This is a very reliable website for all cancer questions. You sound like you are doing such great things for yourself. Taking time ...
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Welcome

Hi anniem,guess at the moment I'm "everyone"! Still think it's a great idea.
0 Kudos
Steve_n
New Contributor

Welcome

Hi Anniem, Great idea and look forward to "survivors" posting things on the site, Now there are two who have posted. Steve
0 Kudos
pinkeye
Occasional Contributor

Welcome

I didn't know there was a survivors forum until now.  I've been posting under general.  My interests are improving my health and life post treatment.  I have been in remission for a year now but still have issues related to graft versus host disease after my bone marrow transplant, so it would be good to hear from others in the same situation.
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Welcome

Hi pinkeye, congrats on being a survivor!!! I think one of the things I have problems with is how do I move on from being a cancer sufferer to a cancer survivor?Part of me keeps waiting for the other shoe to drop!Hopefully, this too shall pass! I wish I could help with your question but it's all Greek to me. Keep posting,Margro
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Welcome

Hi Steve, congrats to you as well and guess what?We now number 3!!!!!!! Margro
0 Kudos
pinkeye
Occasional Contributor

Welcome

Hi Margo I recently went to a cancer council relay for life event.  That helps puts things in perspective as a survivor, and helped me move along a bit as a survivor.  I found it too easy to shove stuff under the carpet and not deal with it, as people are uneasy about talking about cancer experiences at work etc.  At the relay for life event you are there with a whole lot of other survivors and do the first lap of honour for the relay and then have an afternoon tea to meet some other survivors. John
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Welcome

Hi John,that is so much better than 'pinkeye'!!! Part of my problem with being a survivor is the fact that I had pancreatic and I am forever being faced with the odds!!! Why should I be the lucky one? I figure there must be a reason I beat it but I am still trying to find it
0 Kudos
jgillespie
Occasional Contributor

Welcome

Now we are four!  I'm a survivor of 14 years and have come to terms with the fact that although cancer may not be a death sentence, it IS a life sentence.  Annual check-ups with my oncologist remind me, as well as the surgical scars on my body that are with me daily.  Don't get me wrong, I don't live in fear and I've finally stopped waiting for the other shoe to drop, but I was only able to build a new 'normal' for myself once I realised that cancer could come back again and I can't change that.  I use this knowledge to live as fully as possible every day. Being human, of course sometimes I forget to do this, but I believe that I do my very best to make each day something to be celebrated.  Basically it's just a matter of keeping on keeping on - and no matter how far down the track you get, always have people to talk to who have been on the same journey.  Family and friends don't want to hear about it over and over again, but if you need to talk, then you need to.  Who better to do that with than other survivors?Jane
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.