young survivors

AmandaC
Contributor

Re: young survivors

I was 28/29 when I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, my son was 2months old. End of January 2005 I got my biopsy results, within 2 weeks I had my near total thyroidectomy and 1 week after that on my 29th birthday the definitive results were in I had papillary carcenoma on the left lobe. I spent 1 month away from my baby boy and husband when I had RAI and have been clear ever since. Actually just reached my 3 year mark which is exciting. Much like you I am just starting to feel ready to not only get on with things but to help and support young adults with cancer. I was unaware until recently that all of these networks existed, they would have really been a great help to me at the time and in the years after. Alot of people assume you get cancer, have treatment and life goes back to normal which we all know is not true. Just this year I feel ready to speak up!
0 Kudos
Michelle
New Contributor

Hi, my name's Michelle and this is the first time I've logged on to this site, or anything like it. Reading what you wrote made me burst into tears! I can't believe others have had similar experiences to me. I'm 2.5 years clear from lymphoma (I'm 32) and let's just say that all the old cliches about having your world rocked, rug pulled out from under you, etc. etc. didn't even come close to describing how undone I felt. And I'm still struggling with it all, even though I look really well and together on the outside (having my hair back helps with the whole 'normal' look, I'm sure). I feel so lost.
0 Kudos
stevec
Contributor

Hey Michelle, welcome to the group! I certainly know what you mean about struggling on the inside and looking normal on the outside. 'Normal on the inside' is a lot different for me to what is was before.
0 Kudos
AmandaC
Contributor

Welcome Michelle! I am also new to the site and other like it after 3 years of muddling through. The great thing about these blogs and networks is we all realize we have had a normal response and everyone struggles to work out how to move forward. Lets hope we all together we can grow and re-define our normal 🙂
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

AmandaC, thanks for sharing your thoughts and I am so glad you have reached a stage where your ready to speak up :) It does take time before you have enough strength within yourself to think about helping others. you can only help others when you have helped yourself first. its not a selfish act, it is a good and smart way to do such things without burning out. I think it took me a good couple of years before i had the straight and confidence to begin to voice my concerns and do something about them. Having said that though.... 7 years down the track, i still get nervous when i talk to groups of people about my story, and i still cry every time. (which makes everyone else cry) These emotions are just ngrained so deep, that i just accept them as a part of me now As far as you being 'unaware until recently that all of these networks existed'... that is probably because these support networks have been very fragment and run through overseas based organisations and this new Australian-based YAC site was only launched 2 months ago. How good is it we have a place of our won we can all head to and chat! i love it 🙂
0 Kudos
jules_jp
Contributor

Yvette, I agree with Steve about finding support and with time things do get better, esp when you can see/feel that your side effects heal and body recover. Secondly, start to do some of the things that bring you joy and take things at your own new pace - whether it is a day at a time or a month. Then you can start to plan 6 months ahead etc. I recommend the Living Well After Cancer workshop by the Cancer Council.
0 Kudos
anniem
Cancer Council NSW

Hi young survivors :) Great to see you on line and read your thoughts. I am keen to work towards producing a young adult specific Living Well After Cancer program that would be run by trained cancer survivors and the Cancer Council NSW. I would love to hear from you as to what you would like to see in the content? If I set up a survey online would that assist OR is it better to use this format? Mags 🙂
0 Kudos
Nikki_YAC
Frequent Contributor

Hey thanks..... a LWAC program for YACs would be fab :D I like the sound of a survey Mags, then maybe it should be posted in its own box on the YACs homepage to attract a better response rate rather than hidden within a conversation topic. would you agree? Nikki
0 Kudos
anniem
Cancer Council NSW

Sounds like a great idea. I will look in to this 🙂 .....Watch this space! Cheers, Annie
0 Kudos
anniem
Cancer Council NSW

Sounds like a great idea. I will look in to this 🙂 .....Watch this space! Cheers, Annie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.