Another newby to the site!

diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Another newby to the site!

Hi everyone. Today is the first time I have visited this site, so you will have to bear with me while I find my way around. My initial diagnosis (just on 2 years ago) was advanced breast cancer, with widespread boney mets. Boy - did that diagnosis come out of the blue!!! I initially went to doc's with about 1/2 doz lumps on my back, but was told these were nothing more than fatty tissues. After about 12 months, I demanded that two of them be deep core biopsied, and yes, you guessed it - results came back stage 4 advanced breast cancer!!!! I had a full mastectomy (11 out of 14 lymph nodes were cancerous), 6 months chemo and 6 months radiation. In Sept 2010, a scan showed that the cancer has 'eaten a hole' in the C4-C5 area of my neck - I received 5 days radiation on my neck, and now wear a soft collar neck brace whilst driving, just to protect my neck from sudden jolts. Just recently the lumps have returned and my CA15.3 cancer marker is rising again. I have just started on oral chemo XELODA (Capecitabine) and would be interested in hearing from anyone who has also had this treatment. I feel really weird taking this oral form of chemo, as it just seems that 'nothing is happening'. I wonder does this drug have the same powers that IV chemo has? If anyone can answer this question, I would appreciate it. Please keep well to all of you who are undertaking this journey!
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Hev
Occasional Contributor

Re: Another newby to the site!

Hi Dianne, we both joined the same day so now you are the new girl on the block! I don't have any info on the chemo,sorry, but just wanted to say hi and welcome:) Hev
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Hev. I hope we both get a lot of new info from this site. ps: great minds think alike - we both chose the same avatar!
0 Kudos
Hev
Occasional Contributor

yes same avatar! I did try to upload a pic of a powerful owl that I took...but didn't succeed!
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

hi and welcome! 🙂 i dont know much about the tablets but they must work or else docs wouldnt supply them.. its a good thing you dont feel to sick with them.. how long have you had cancer for? wishing you all the best vent away on here if you need to! xo maddie
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi dianne and welcome to the site. 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Welcome Newbies and we have good ears and positive minds so blog away. Dave 🙂
0 Kudos
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Hi guys, thanks so much for the welcome and the kind words. @Maddie, I was diagnosed 2 years ago. So much has happened regarding treatment, setbacks, doc's, scan, etc that the time has just flown. I see just as many docs now and have just as many scans, tests as I did when first diagnosed, which makes it really difficult to plan and enjoy my time. After reading some of the problems other members are facing on their 'journey', especially some of the mouth, nose and throat cancers and the treatment/surgery for these, I am feeling 'lucky' that I have breast cancer. Trust me - that is one thing that I never thought I would say, - that I am lucky to have cancer!!! I am sure we all face our problems with 'guts and dertermination' regardless of what type of cancer we have. This is a long hard journey for all of us, carers and family moreso than the patient. I wish everybody well with their treatment and their progress. 🙂
0 Kudos
meandma
Occasional Contributor

Hi Guys, yet another newbie to the site. I have already had an email from one on you and your support has been amazing. Thanks so much. I hope l can help one or more of you some day. Regards Meandma
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.