Being tested to my absolute limit.

Peregrina
Contributor

Being tested to my absolute limit.

Good morning Cancer community, as some of you know I am 14 weeks away from walking the Camino De Santiago in Spain, a healing pilgrimage following treatment for stage 4 colorectal cancer. I am dedicating this pilgrimage, not only to celebrate my own healing journey but to raise funds for Cancer Council in support of others on this path. And, with the support of Cancer Council have set up a “do it for Cancer” page to let folk know what I am up to. It seems that my commitment to this pilgrimage and the full on preparation it takes to walk 800 kms is going to be tested to the limits…On Monday I underwent a laparoscopic cholecystectomy, not related to cancer. Seriously !! Just when I was full of energy, strong & confident and able to walk 28 kms at a time now I am back walking only short distances and not able to carry my backpack for at least two weeks. Suddenly dealing with post anaesthetic fatigue, surgical pain and laparoscopic wounds, again. Yes, it would be so easy just to give up and say this is all too hard but I guess, at times, our courage and resilience must be tested otherwise we never feel our power. Today, in the mountains, it is raining and every cell of my body wants to remain snuggled up in a warm bed but I will don my red Camino Altus raincoat and stagger the allocated 5 kms….warriors we are 🙏👣💖

2 REPLIES 2
Joey23
New Contributor

Re: Being tested to my absolute limit.

Sound like your doing a great job 👍🏽
In this ongoing situation
Do u listen to alot of motivational speakers or audio books
0 Kudos
Peregrina
Contributor

Re: Being tested to my absolute limit.

Hola Joey23 and thankyou for your reply. I haven’t posted for a while so great to reconnect with community.

Last year I successfully walked the 800 km pilgrimage, Camino de Santiago…returning home in November. I was tested to my absolute limit, underestimating the impact of my chemo induced peripheral neuropathy and post chemo fatigue but it was a fantastic experience. My third Camino de Santiago with different challenges but unexpected gifts of grace and courage. I believe all of us who face the many difficult and complicated issues of cancer treatment are warriors and capable of extraordinary things…we are brave and unbreakable beings ! Every day I posted my walking experience on the “do it for cancer” site to fundraise  and this record reminds me of the truly incredible experience, feeling my strength and courage again after the horrid two years of cancer treatment which left me shattered…in pieces. I didn’t listen or read motivational stuff as I always kept walking The Camino again as my motivation to survive cancer treatment, the beacon. Some sort of contract with The Goddess about survival as there were so many days when I really didn’t think I could continue breathing, it was Hell. I am still testing NED which is great and the biggest surprise of all as I really believed that once my “contract” was fulfilled my time here was over. So, I am in the process of discovering what survivorship means for me now…what next ? 
I am motivated by the countless stories of courage, struggle and bravery that I read on this site and other cancer sites. We are all truly amazing folk. Ultreya….onwards with courage 🙏💖

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.