Stage 4 Cancer Survivor: I walked from Brisbane to Melbourne dressed as Captain Australia

CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Stage 4 Cancer Survivor: I walked from Brisbane to Melbourne dressed as Captain Australia

G'day, just a really quick post, possibly my final post here, because I'm done with cancer.  It's in the rearview.  I don't think or obsess about it any more, I just think about it in connection with how it impacts other people (like my little friend Archer who I met on my BIG WALK, an impacted child)

After a fight with Stage 4 head & neck cancer, I was wrecked. No hope.  Just waiting to die. 

I decided to do (and successfully did) a BIG WALK ..a  pilgrimage of hope & healing.

I walked from Brisbane to Melbourne dressed as the boofhead homebrand superhero Captain Australia, and raised $165,000 for paediatric cancer research.  (The Kids' Cancer Project), as no child should have to endure what I did.

And it worked.  I have hope now, vital concerns, I am a viable human being again.

And I'm just an ordinary, older guy.  A mixed bag, nothing outrageously special.

What does that tell us ?

However dark your struggle is YOU CAN GET THROUGH IT.  You can beat this fucking thing.  You can be happy, whole and vital again.

You just need to find the recipe specific to you.  (No capes required)

If you're curious to know more, I'm rebuilding a journal of every day of the walk.  There are tremendous themes in there around hope, healing and coping with grief, and I'm writing it first and foremost for my children.  But maybe also for YOU.

It was all over the telly at the time, the homepage has links to that stuff, sometimes pretty funny 🙂

www.captainaustralia.online

www.captainaustralia.online/journal

www.facebook.com/capsbigwalk

All the best to you

2 REPLIES 2
Joey23
New Contributor

Re: Stage 4 Cancer Survivor: I walked from Brisbane to Melbourne dressed as Captain Australia

hey mate love the attitude and you inspired me that's amazing champion 🏆

Thats right theres more to us than cancer 

37 stage 4 head and neck cancer myself 

It's a rollercoaster 🎢 but like you said gotta keep.om keeping on Ill check out captain Australia 🦘

And share it cheers mate 

0 Kudos
Peregrina
Contributor

Re: Stage 4 Cancer Survivor: I walked from Brisbane to Melbourne dressed as Captain Australia

Congratulations Captain…you are a champion, and a great model for all of us surviving and living with cancer. I completed my 800 km pilgrimage, The Camino de Santiago, in November and agree …we are all superheroes and capable of anything we can imagine. Enjoy your life and freedom from the restraints of cancer. Blessings 🙏💖

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.