Complaints about the little things

Regular Contributor

Re: Complaints about the little things

Hi Sch

I hope you are doing well. I've been bugging other people for the meanings behind their names. What is behind sch?

I'll give you an update on my morning routine as of today. Yesterday was a shocker. Any suggestions? I'm all ears.

I've started with lemonade flavoured hydralite. The least ghastly flavoured of all, until you mix warm water into it. Then, it is just as bad. Wash down a maxolon and Gastrostop to settle my tummy before I get into my Capecitabine, because I don't need that coming back up or making  mad dash for the ileostomy bag.

I have poured some cornflakes to have with hot milk and usually add some psyllium husks to help slow down digestion. The dry cornflakes are actually sitting next to me now and I can't help grazing. They taste better than hydrolite with warm water. They are also helping to settle the nausea a bit too.

My wife just told me that grazing on my dry cornflakes is the sort of thing that all pregnant women do for nausea; and I should know that! Hmmm. 

I'll take the Capecitabine midway through my cornflakes (with warm milk, if I save myself any cornflakes). I have to have it mid-meal with a full glass of water. With low appetite, getting these tablets in is a challenge. Despite the mental barrier I have for taking them in first place, nausea is a bigger barrier.

Hopefully that will start my day well. Hopefully I will get through this one easier. Scary part is... Yesterday could have been much worse. Any general tips you can suggest would be great. I'm keen to stay a functional human being throughout the chemo.

Cheers

Phil

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Complaints about the little things

Hi Phil,

The name I've chosen is a little mundane. It's the initials of my name.

My name is Sean, and I have chosen to obscure my real name for the sake of privacy in the context of the broader internet.

Hot milk on ceral is a great idea. That reminds me of my travels to India. 

What are the psyllium hosts for? I haven't heard of using these before.

As for tips on getting through this;

• Set a routine of walking (or running) as much as you can fit in to a daily routine. This will help with nausea, appetite, neuropathy and just generally boost your mood.  I know this can be difficult after surgery. I started walking 4 km a day, a couple of weeks after my colectomy. I was sore and slow. I also found that it helped with anxiety.
  • I found that my taste buds were altered by surgery. Things that I liked before I didn't like any more. Things I didn't like before, I really love now. Strange yes? Try different foods that you might not have liked before and see if you like them now. That might help.
  • I don't know if you are intending on working while you complete your chemo. When I first started chemo, I was going straight back to work after I had chemo (with my 5FU in the bag). Three months in and the fatigue hit big time. I wasn't able to head back to work that day. I would go home and sleep for the rest of the day.
  • The nausea can be pretty tough. If you are feeling nauseas, tell your doctors. The doctor changed my anti-nausea tablets to something stronger. That made such a difference.
  • If you are not coping or struggling with some aspect of your treatment, tell your doctor. They can make changes or alter doses of drugs. It's really very important that you communicate with your doctor.

-s

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.