Finding friends

Foxyjade
New Contributor

Finding friends

Hey:) 

in 2018 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and went through treatment. A couple weeks ago I found out it’s back and in my bones. They’ve given me 5 years with treatment. I’m honestly not on here to talk about the shit we have to go through but to find like mined individuals that I can relate to.

17 REPLIES 17
Jill53
Occasional Visitor

Re: Finding friends

Just wanted to send you hugs xx
Foxyjade
New Contributor

Hugs back🤗

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Jade

Three weeks and you've got just one hug. When I joined this forum last year, it seemed really popular. Activity seems to be waning. Don't worry. It's not you.

Sorry to hear about your condition. I'm at the point where you were. Had my treatment. Things are looking good, but the future is still uncertain. My obvious concern is getting the bad news.

what is your next treatment step?

cheers

Phil

Foxyjade
New Contributor

Hey Phil:)

thanks for reaching out to me. I’m actually surprised that there are not more cancer support groups out there considering how many people have or have had cancer. 

sorry to hear about your condition as well. It can be very difficult to manage emotionally I find. It really helps having people who have gone through similar things to connect with.

Since my last post they have also found cancer in my liver and lungs. So, my prognosis is not looking that great right now. I’m going in to the hospital tomorrow to start some new meds through a clinical trial. I’m really not looking forward to it obviously lol 

How are you dealing with things? Are you still “cancer free”??

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Jade

The prognosis so far is good. And the further I get from treatment, statistically speaking, it's improving.

I come to terms with it early. Just accepted that if my number is up, that's it. Surprisingly enough, it wasn't good enough for the people around me. I kind of stopped living for myself and set my goals on being here for them. That was my mental fight against cancer and it was an easy win.

With that said, surviving the treatment was its own battle. Chemo was cruel and kept sending me to hospital. My body didn't cope with it. The outcomes of surgery are a constant reminder of what I went through. Although I consider myself lucky compared to what others have gone through. So I try not to play the pity violin too  much. I focus on doing things that make me happy and try to put the past behind me. Quite optimistic for a long future, but certainly not taking it for granted. I don't my head will let me.

I suppose you are now on a major roller-coaster with your latest news. When you try to think of something supportive to say to people in your situation,  you get a lot of repetitive and polite sentiment. I've been on the receiving end of that and I kind of think it's funny to watch people dance around their own tongues. So I'll just be blunt. That really socks! I don't know you very well, but I am saddened to learn of your worsening condition. Reach out any time you want to beat up on life, fairness or consequence. If it helps, I could write you a poem.

Take care

Phil

Lolie
Contributor

I'm also surprised by how few support groups there are online and by how quiet most of them are.  There was a large and very busy American one which closed at the end of last year with very little notice and it was a huge loss.

I've recently gone from getting news on 14 August that I'm in remission from lymphoma to having it confirmed last week that a mass in my lung is primary lung cancer, so I can somewhat relate to trying to wrap your head around something new and its implications for your current and future life.

Please keep us updated with how you're going.

0 Kudos
cemo-queen
Occasional Contributor

Hello new friend! Don't except that time line. They don't know, I was given months. I gave up my life with horses had a yard sale sold my stuff dirt cheap thinking the worst. That was 6 years ago. Little did they know I was to mean to die. My favorite saying is what's hard by the mile is easy by the inch, well many miles later here I am. I'm not as mean as I thought. I have learned  so many things, people do care. I love my cancer center, they are the one's who gave me the name cemo queen but I no longer receive I V treatment's so I rarely get to see them. With oral treatment's at home and covid 19 I go day's with out talking to anyone. So if you want someone to talk to no matter the subject here I am.

CiennaR
Contributor

Hi Lolie,

I read one of your posts regarding finding friends and wanted to say I belonged to the cancer forum that closed down suddenly.  I still miss it!  It was a great cancer forum with a bunch of great people.

I am sorry your cancer reappeared in your lung.  I know how you feel.  I was in remission for 18 months and just found out recently that the cancer is back in my lung.  This is hard to accept.

I would be interested to know more about you and how you are doing.

0 Kudos
Lolie
Contributor

Hi Cienna

I had the first of 4 SBRT sessions for the mass in my lung yesterday.  I have 2 next week and then 1 the following week, then it's a waiting game to find out how well it's worked.

The lung mass isn't a relapse.  I actually have two different types of primary cancer.  The lung cancer was almost certainly present prior to the lymphoma.

I feel quite well.  I'm just a bit tired.  It's been a long year and once this treatment is over I'm hoping to have a couple of months of my life not being dominated by medical stuff.

I'm sorry to hear about your relapse, and also about your vision problems.  I hope your team are able to find solutions to both.  

It all gets a bit exhausting sometimes, doesn't it?

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.