GBM:looking for fellow travellers.

ilonaanddaniel
Not applicable

Re: GBM:looking for fellow travellers.

Hi My husband was diagnosed with GBM on 27/06/2011 so looks like we are going through the same path at the moment. He is going to start radio and chemo probably next week. If you need anything please let us know.
0 Kudos
unicorn83
Not applicable

Hi CatBye, I was in your shoes 12months ago when I was 27. My tumour was removed about 95%. It was also in the speach section. 3 days after surgery when results came that the part of my brain surrounding the tumour was malignant but slow growing. I packed up to leave hospital 3 days after surgery. Too soon it turns out because later that night I tried to talk and only gibberish came out. After not being able to make any sense my Dad took me back to hospital and they explained that is completely normal. They called it dysphasia. (wish they told me that so I didn't freak out when I got home) I still have these types of lapses 1 year on. It was 10 times a day at the start and now it would be max once a week. You are so amazing to be on this site so early. You are amazing. I couldn't work a computer for 1 minute without getting a splitting headache 2 months after it all happened. Good luck to you. Take care of that head of yours. Katie
0 Kudos
Jadeski
New Contributor

Hey All I am so sorry to here of your diagnosis whether it is you personally or a close family member/friend. My partner had a GBM Grade 4, he was diagnosed in April 2010. I am also looking for support on here. I am also happy to offer support, advice on managing your GBM, as to what worked and did not work for my partner.
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

GBMpartner has past the 3 month mark of having chemo. New MRI scan Oncologist reports tumour has significantly returned .............. maybe that the image just could be the activity of the chemo but unlikely...............#$@!!!! Our dog 14 years old and slowing down in physical abilities, collasped while on an easy walk 3 weeks ago, he got worse that day, he seems to be paralysised. saw vet - tumour /slipped disk or bleed on his spine at the base of his neck. Two weeeks later he seems to be improving - he was walking like being highly intoxicated, staggers, falls on face, side or where ever. Last Monday he collapsed again completely paralysised there is no muscle response in his legs, seems worse todate, no improvement since Monday appears permanent. The spark seems less in him, he looks like he is resigned ...going we are distressed Tomorrow we take him again to the vet, she is good and caring. It will probably be his last trip....
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

GBMpartner has past the 3 month mark of having chemo. New MRI scan Oncologist reports tumour has significantly returned .............. maybe that the image just could be the activity of the chemo but unlikely...............#$@!!!! Our dog 14 years old and slowing down in physical abilities, collasped while on an easy walk 3 weeks ago, he got worse that day, he seems to be paralysised. saw vet - tumour /slipped disk or bleed on his spine at the base of his neck. Two weeeks later he seems to be improving - he was walking like being highly intoxicated, staggers, falls on face, side or where ever. Last Monday he collapsed again completely paralysised there is no muscle response in his legs, seems worse todate, no improvement since Monday appears permanent. The spark seems less in him, he looks like he is resigned ...going we are distressed Tomorrow we take him again to the vet, she is good and caring. It will probably be his last trip....
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

0 Kudos
mukianna
Not applicable

Hi all, I am the mother of a 34yo son with a grade 4 GBM. It was hard to cope with the news, especially as not much was told to me, only to his partner,and I was under the impression that because most of the tumour was removed, that meant my son was ok. How little I knew! My son was diagnosed with GBM last October, 2010. He had the tumour removed and was given radiotherapy,and then chemo for 6 months. Three weeks after the chemo finished, he had an MRI, and was told that the tumour had grown back, although only about a third the size of the original. Another operation, and now he is participating in clinical trials of the drug Avastin as well as another chemo drug, not sure of the name, at the Royal Melbourne Hospital. As his mother, it has been devastating for me to see my son suffer with such a rotten horrible disease, and I am helpless to do anything about it...I can't "kiss it better" as we mothers do when our children are little. I found that, when the second tumour was discovered, my son and his wife were almost hysterical and panicky and didnt know where to turn for advice etc. It was seeing them like this, with my daughter-in-law crying on my shoulder and my son looking at me with that look in his eyes that said "help me, Mum", that I decided there and then to get a support group in our city going, for brain cancer patients and their families and friends. I was lucky enough to enlist the help of a lovely lady who had actually nursed brain tumour patients at the RM for a long time, and had the experience, the passion and the compassion to see what I wanted to do, and to be able to help me. Her contacts have been invaluable, and we are now at the point where we will be affiliated with the Cancer Council of Victoria and be part of their support group network in this state. At the same time, my son's mother-in-law is organising a fund raiser to get the money to continue with the treatment once the trial is finished in eight weeks, so my son is a lucky young man to have three strong women on his side, and by his side, through such a painful journey. The thing that helps us all the most is being able to do something useful and keeping a positive outlook, although that was almost impossible for me for the first few months as I was in tears for most of the time and unable to function at times, my grief and my fear and my anger were so great. I have since been prescribed antidepressants and this has helped me to be strong again and to get this support group off the ground. I never once allowed my son to see me like that, and that was wrong because, once I was strong enough to be able to tell him, I found that he knew anyway. I would like to say that I really feel for the people who are "walking the path" with loved ones with GBM, that its hard to keep positive and hopeful, but it helps if you have the information you need, to know what you and your loved one are dealing with. That is the problem I had, and I wouldnt wish it on anyone!
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

Just wondering how everyone is doing so far. Hope everything goes well. 🙂
0 Kudos
MissyM
Occasional Contributor

Hi all, I have been away from cancer connections for a while now. My hero, my father, took his last breath at 6.46pm on June 21st. He fought his GBM for 3 years and 2 months. I have a profound and deep whole in my heart and a burning anger in my mind over everything that has happened. His treatments, his decline, his care, my loss..... they all turn constantly in my mind. i wish you all the love, care and kindness I can send to you. Missy
0 Kudos
peanutz
Frequent Contributor

MissyM, sorry for your lost. Three years and two months is a pretty good time though from my short understanding of GBM. My partner is only a bit over 4 months in after his brain surgery and diagnosed. I do wish he will be with me for a long long time.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.