Hair Loss

gabrielle2106
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hair Loss

My family told me I had 'peach fuzz" when mine first grew back..it was fluffy ducky sorta...now, almost 12 months later, its still not back to normal but almost.
0 Kudos
Merkel
Contributor

Hi Michellep. I found the wig library at the hospital where I received my Chemotherapy was fantastic. I have a daughter who is called the makeup queen, by friends. She is very artistic. I think the best advice she gave me, was. "Mum don't let yourself go because you have no hair. Each morning put yourself first, you've earned it". Decide what your going to wear & colour coordinate your makeup to match your outfit. I went through the winter months with no hair. I purchased hats, makeup, lipstick & eyeshadow that matched my clothes. I had two fringes I borrowed from the wig library. I put one on as fringe & one at the back so it showed out the bottom of my hat. When the weather got a little warmer I purchased a few very soft dark colour long scarfs. The type you would throw around your neck. I sewed them in the middle, about 6 ins down, like a hat, then I would put my fringe on, put the scarf on like a hat & tie it in a big soft bow at the back, it looked so vogue. I wore it out to dinner & two men in the restaurant asked if my daughter & I were sisters. My daughter is 22yrs younger & very attractive. Not a bad complement for a chemo patient. Girls, you can look better than you've ever looked before. Don't let chemo stop you being beautiful. Merkel
0 Kudos
artist_in_recov
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michelle, When I was diagnosed (started treatment and subsequently lost my hair) the hospital had 'wig' people that came to you and fitted you and gave you a wig for free - I'm so suprised they don't have this service here. I was diagnosed and treated in London, but surely Sydney should be getting with the times!! Have you asked your doctor if they know anywhere? It seems a cruel blow to have to pay for a wig that you're hopefully only going to need for the few months it takes for your hair to grow on top of the anxieties of your diagnosis!!
0 Kudos
Barbe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Everyone I also attended a Look Good Feel Better Workshop about one and a half years ago. I guess i was lucky, the ladies at the workshop had us giggling and chatting. I was impressed with the quality of the skincare and make up package that was given to us, and the lady that came later, Ann from Wig Affair in Sydney was wonderful and showed us many different ways of using scarves and wigs. I am sorry you had a bad experience, Gabrielle, because i can certainly see the value in having a fun morning. I was a beauty therapist/make up artist in a previous life (before kids!) and thorougly enjoyed the workshop. In fact, i am now a volunteer and am up to doing my third workshop soon. To be fair on the foundation, the kits that are given to each female, are made up of products that are donated by cosmetic companies in australia. There are volunteers that go in to a huge warehouse each month, and pack kits according to the forms that are send in by the hospitals. You are either lucky and get some nice colours that are suited to you, or get some totally inappropriate colours (i got electric blue and purple eyeshadow!). The point of the morning is, to show how you can create eyebrows, if you wish, have the illusion of eyelashes, if you wish, being taught how to look after your skin, while it is going through changes and basically have a fun time with your peers who might be going through the same problems as you. The workshop usually starts quiet and ends up with people exchanging phonenumbers and having coffees after. Like you said, it should be individual, but i think it would be hard finding a woman who doesnt like to be pampered and have fun, whether she is going through chemo or not! Oh, and there are workshops for men and kids as well. Luv, Barbe xo
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, yeah
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hadn't we lost this spam earlier today? Persistent aren't they.
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

I had a haircut today. Thanks for asking. I like going in and saying "Number two all over". I got her to trim my Movember 'tache as well.
0 Kudos
gabrielle2106
Occasional Contributor

ok, after 3 years my cancer came back, in lots of places. i am now on abraxine. i got my hair cut short in readiness for baldness but its just got a bit thin after 3 full cycles. its not thin enough to worry about or wear a wig etc...i really nead not have bothered.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hair Transplant

Dear all, PLEASE NOTE: This commercial post has been removed by the Administration Team as it breaches the terms and conditions of usage for the website. Kind regards Kate Cancer Connections Admin Team
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Hair Transplant

ANOTHER FLAMING SPAM ATTACK!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.