Hey newbie here

belinda74
New Contributor

Hey newbie here

Hi everyone, my name is Belinda and I have recently been diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 4. Every thing has happened so fast from diagnosis to treatment that I think it is just sinking in now. I have had radiation and am waiting to go in for brachytherapy, I think that is how you spell it:) I will be going in for 3-4 days and have to stay flat on my back the whole time. If anyone has been through this would love to hear how you coped or if you have any tips. I am so glad I found this forum it has been hard trying to talk to family about what I am going through. thanks for listening Cheers Belinda...
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
kim_carter74
New Contributor

Hi Belinda

Chin up and goodluck with the rest of your treatment. I am new to the Cancer Connection also and just wanted to let you know that your not alone. My mother has just been diagnosed with secondary Endometrial Cancer and this is her 6th lot of cancer!!! Over the past 20 years she has battled and come through triumphantly. Mum has a famous saying that I think helps her get through it all - "There are always others out there worse off than me!" I know it probably seems useless saying something like this when you are going through all of the treatment and the sickness and you just feel horrible but you just have to look past it and hold onto hope that it will all be ok!!! Goodluck and keep on battling!!!
0 Kudos
Seadee
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hey newbie here

Hi Belinda, I also have stage 4 cancer and know how terrified you must feel.It can be really hard talking to friends and family.I don't need people telling me how I should feel and to stay positive, that's why I came to this site, looking for others in the same circumstance who understand.The emotions are overwhelming.Belinda, you are too young to have this and I just want you to know that we care.Hoping your procedure goes well for you and please private message me if you want to chat. Dee x
0 Kudos
wombat4
Contributor

Hi Belinda, This is a good site to talk to people who are going through the same or a similar cancer illness. It is very difficult for yourself who was probably just cruising along with life one moment, the next moment everything is upside down and you wonder how the hell did I get here. Your family will be feeling the same, and relationships do change in these situations, mostly for the better. People are less inclined to take other family members for granted,and reach out for them. What they would like to say is, I wish in all my heart that this was not happening to you, I love you and will do all I can to help you. Sometimes the first move may need to come from you, a kiss, a hug, a cuddle, they are as scared as you are at the moment, unsure of how things will be. good luck with your treatment. wombat4
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I have not got the same cancer nor have I had brachytherapy but did have imrt . I had to lie on a board wearing a mask and not move for this. They offered a mild drug from the valium family,Ativan. It helps you relax. After a few sessions I decided I didn't need it but I did enjoy the happiness and peace that lasted for a few hours after .I had not felt like that for months. I kept the rest for situations where I'd normally get uptight,e.g. plane travel ,in the doctor's waiting rooms etc. The staff there will treat you really well .
0 Kudos
belinda74
New Contributor

Hey everyone thank you for a lovely welcome:) I have just been able to get back on the computer to say a big thanks for making me feel welcome.I had to go back to hospital for more blood transfusions. another lovely side effect I have is low iron that needs checking every week and when it gets to low they whack me in hospital for some blood starting to feel like a vampire lol:) hope you are all travelling along okay take care Belinda
0 Kudos
traceypcktt
Occasional Contributor

Hey Belinda, I am a newly diagnosed cervical cancer person too. I just wanted to say hi and introduce my self to you and also see how your going with your treatments so far. Hopefully they are going well for you and doing what they need to do. Any way hope it is all going well, good luck and take care. Trace
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.