Medically Induced Menopause

Tammy
Occasional Contributor

Medically Induced Menopause

Hi. I am hoping that someone has some advice for me! Since having my hysterectomy, I have had hot flushes and the itchy skin feeling. Has anyone tried anything natural that has helped with these symptoms? I see my oncologist again in a few weeks and we will be discussing commencement of HRT, but thought there might be something I can try in the meantime. Thank you in anticipation. Tam
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: Medically Induced Menopause

HI Tammy, I'm 37, and have been on HRT for 17 years with no problems at all, so take heart! It can take a bit of trial and error to find a regimen that fills your needs (I take separate oestrogen and progesterone tablets, to get the exact dose that suits me), so don't be afraid to go back to your doctor and ask them to tweak your drugs if you're not feeling great at first. I don't know much about non-supplement symptom relief, but a good pharmacist might be able to help you with that. I have seen vitamin supplements etc. for this in supermarkets, so it might be worth looking there, too. Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions! love Emily
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

Re: Medically Induced Menopause

Hi Tammy, There was an episode on Dr Oz awhile ago hat discussed natural supplements for the side effects or menopause. If you hunt it down you may find what you need. I too have surgically induced menopause and my Gyn Onc has me using Estradot patches. These are very easy to use. All ou have to do is to remember to stick a patch on your bum every three and a half days. I tried to hold out and not use HRT's because of my cancer and my family history, but the hot flushes got the better of me. Once you find what works for you, you'll be fine. From one thermostatically challenged lady to another.....take care. Leah
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.