New to site. love to hear from ppl who are undergoing chemo

Ria16
New Contributor

New to site. love to hear from ppl who are undergoing chemo

Hi there, My name is Ria, I am 30 years old with an amazing partner and 2 wonderful young children. I was diagnosed with Stage C (cancer is found in the lymph nodes in the area of the bowel) bowel cancer in september 2012, under went surgery shortly after and am now having 12 cycles of chemo. I am finding it really difficult to stay motivated to continue on with the chemo, although I am half way through my treatment. I am usually a very active person so I am struggling being so reliant on other people. Im very fatigued so I spend 5-6 days doing very little and its driving me nuts. Does anyone else feel like their life is in limbo? thanks, Ria xo
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: New to site. love to hear from ppl who are undergoing chemo

Hi Ria I am not currently undergoing chemo but I have had it 3 years ago. One thing with being a patient is that we lose a lot of our independence and do become reliant on others. If you can look on that as a temporary thing as that will get better once you have finished treatment. It is just a means of getting through what you are currently enduring. ANother thing you could do is to find something that interests you that you can do or take up a new hobby. It is hard but it does pass 🙂 I used to find there was little I could do because I slept so much - due to medication - and not much time outside of everything that needed to be done and sleeping. I hope that you are travelling ok at the moment. Julie
0 Kudos
Robyn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ria I am going through chemo at the moment also. It is hard when you are so used to being so active and on the go but hang in there as you are half way through. My husband had bowel cancer 3 years ago so we are going through it all again with me but just take each day as it comes and the day will come when you will feel better. It must be hard with small children and you would have to rely on other people to help you but just take the time to rest when you can. I find the first week is the worst then I feel better and can do small things. It is only temporary so just look forward to the end of your treatment and hopefully the time passes quickly for you. Best of Luck Robyn
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi Ria, I had a very old regime of chemo,5fu and a drug called levamisole. Levamisole was a dreadful drug ,it was banned in 2000 because of fatal side effects. I had the 5fu via canula in the back of the hand every tuesday for 48 weeks . Every second week I would take 9 tablets of levamisole starting the day after the 5fu. Three a day for three days. It was a battle getting thru the chemo but when you stop at the end and the waiting begins you almost wish you were still having chemo. I used to have a scan every six months and a scope every year. I had six lymph nodes involved and very aggressive cancer. My surgeon did not believe I would beat it but I did. Now 15 years later I am still battling long term problems from chemo.Best of luck .Ron.
0 Kudos
Ria16
New Contributor

Thank you all for sharing your stories and positivity. Its very much appreciated and NEEDED!. Ron, 48 cycles of chemotherapy makes me feel like my journey should be a walk in the park. I take my hat off to you! Im currently struggling with anxiety and depression. Until now I was trying to be pro-active about over coming the anxiety e.g. talking to a phycologist, using different techniques, keeping busy. But now I feel I can no longer cope on my own so Im off to see my GP about possible antidepressants and/or anxiety meds. Has anyone else required this type of medication during there treatment? Did it help? Thanks again, Ria
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Ria I didn't personally but I witnessed other people that needed to get some help with their depression and anxiety. It made all the difference to them and it isn't necessarily a permanent solution. If you feel you need it, get it! hug Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.