The ups and downs

Oldman
Contributor

The ups and downs

Boy my brain gets so confussed these days, i had no idea that knowing I cancer would change my emotions so much. Some days are so good and positive then the next just sucks and i hate the world, but I guess that is the way it is. I'm finding motivation is also quite tuff, once I get started on something it is okay but getting started is hard. The other thing is I do nto know what sort of support would be right for me so I find all that a bit confussing. I guess I'm just thinking out loud but thanks for listening. Oldman
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
margro
Frequent Contributor

The ups and downs

Hi Kevin, Better than Oldman!! Please seriously think about getting involved with a support group of some type.The cancer council have several telephone support groups and it REALLY helps being able to discuss things with other people going thru the same things as you.I'm part of a pancreatic cancer group and we "meet" once a fortnight for a one hour 'conference' call and as much as I love my partner and children they can't really understand some of the fears I have and I can talk to the support group about those issues.Please give it a try...if you find it's not for you you don't have to continue but it helps!!! On a happier note,did you back a winner in the cup?Think I backed 19 out of the 22 horses and I'm hoping they turn the lights on so the jockeys can find their way cause they're still running! Good luck mate.I hope some of this makes sense!You and your family are in my thoughts,Margaret
0 Kudos
Oldman
Contributor

The ups and downs

Dear Margaret, I saw my Chemo doc for the first time today, she also encouraged me to see a socal worker at the Clinic. Here in Hobart the Holman Clinic is the place to be if you have cancer as it covers all aspects of support and treatment. I start on the Chemo and Radiation next Thurs 15th. I also hope that this finds you well. Kevin
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

The ups and downs

Hi Kevin, I am so glad you have a supportive centre for your treatment.Do you feel more positive after the visit today? Good luck mate.margaret
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

The ups and downs

HI Oldman, Have you spoken to your dr about anti.depressants?I'm 2yrs past surgery for pancreatic cancer and,yes,emotions are all over the place.I seemed to cope better when first diagnosed because I was being strong for everyone else!Allow youself the time to be angry,sad and a plain old pain in the neck at times!I think it's probably harder for a man to deal with all these emotions because a "man has to be strong".At least us poor females have had years of pms to deal with so we can handle the emotional upheaval!!!!!!Joking,of course! My advice would be to try and force youself to do one thing everyday,I guarantee you will feel a bit better .Just don't do more than you can handle. Good luck,my thoughts and prayers are with you,Margro
0 Kudos
Oldman
Contributor

The ups and downs

Thank you Margo,I already take Zoloft which I have been on for the past 4 years.Getting motivated is the hardest thing to do once I have started it is okay.I'm trying to do things around the house but that feels like I'm getting ready for my death which I know is crazy.Margo have been involved with a support group if so was there any benefit in it?I ask this as I'm pondering what my next step will be.Oldman (Kevin)
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.