Timing for looking for other work and health checks

deejjay
Contributor

Timing for looking for other work and health checks

I've been working part time through out cancer treatment and about to have my last chemo followed by radiotherapy. However I've seen a job that I'd like to apply for with the same very large employer I work for but in a different department. I'm wondering whether it's too soon as it seems a good job opportunity, close to home (local jobs that I'd like and likely to get are hard to come by), pays very slightly less but has more promotional/progression opportunities. But the issues are whether the new department would allow a part time arrangement (I will enquire about that this week as part of the job enquiries) and needing to sign a health declaration (I am trying to get hold of that to see what it contains) which may lead to a medical depending on what I put on it I guess and whether I should disclose having recently had cancer and treatment. Also if the job isn't part time where I'd stand if I found full time too difficult to do at this stage. Any comments. Cheers Deejjay
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Timing for looking for other work and health checks

Hi Deejjay It is tough to try and work out where we are at and anticipate where we might be at. I am in a similar situation at the moment. Trying to get back to work and unsure whether the body can do it. I find it rather frustrating as i feel ok and yet i have things happening that could easily mean i cannot work for a while yet. Good luck with your decision. Julie
0 Kudos
Zen-moment
Occasional Contributor

Hi Deejjay I agree with Julie - it is tough to try and work out our capacity to work, and then what a new manager and team would think of our needs, given we're often not sure ourselves about it. I've been wanting to move on in my career too but after much "doing my head in!" thinking, I've made a decision to just sit tight with the team and management who have supported me well through my treatment, and focus on recovery (year since I finished radiotherapy, but still exhausted) so I"m letting the job opportunities pass, working in my old job part time, and focusing on getting my physical fitness back, and doing some mental recovery too. I've promised myself that I will review this decision in 6 months time. I"ve had to put these boundaries around my thinking otherwise I felt like I was missing out and getting left behind, when in reality what I'm doing is recovering and looking after myself. Hope you find a way to work it out for you - we're all different in our recoveries and how we approach it - but I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you. Good luck with it! And thank god we're well enough to work!!! Zen-moment. 🙂
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

ugh! I just reread my post with morning eyes and realised it could be construed that i am fearing the cancer is back. Thats not the case - i am just struggling with side effects that no one else has had apparently. haha Trust my body to do things differently. 🙂 I have torn the tendon in the rotor cuff area (no idea how) and it gets better and then is tending to get worse again. Possibly i am doing too much ... going to go back and see my doc. Have changed gps and then she went on holidays. Julie
0 Kudos
vinouche
Contributor

Good luck with that rotor cuff tendon Julie, it seems to take for ever to come right, just treat it gently. Glad to hear it is not the cancer back. s
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Thanks Vinouche, just hoping the other bits are actually arthiritis like they are saying. Last time i heard that i had a g/f end up with bone cancer (she had breast cancer to begin with). Butttt, in saying that i refuse to stress about it because i could drive myself nutty over something that may not be anything. 🙂 It is being checked and it will be monitored because i have a fantastic onco bloke and thats that! 🙂 Thanks for your note and i hope you are travelling ok at the mo. Julie
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Thanks for the replies everyone. Zen I can relate to that feeling of things passing by, missing out. I feel pressure on one hand to be getting a new job in the same large employer where I am as next year I could be at risk of losing my current job that I'm overqualified for (too complicated to explain) so want to be in something where I'm using my quals and skills to be in a more secure job. But at the same time recognise the need to allow time to heal and my current job being part time helps with that. I did apply for the job. I got hold of the health declaration form and discussed it with everyone and I can either choose not to diclose or to disclose and the hospital would write a letter and the breast care nurse said she would be happy to do a role play where I practice what I'm going to say to her. Anyhow it's looking like I didn't get it but may end up on an eligibility list for future opportunities (should get a letter in a couple of weeks) which will be the best outcome as I would be more ready down the track. I was also studying at uni part time so have chased up going back instead as I can either do 3 subjects over 2 days (1 1/2 days actually) or if too much drop one and only go 1/2 day pw as one is by correspondence. Jules I hope the rotator cuff tear mends very soon for you.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Deejjay Congrats on being on the list for next time. Do you feel right in your heart about getting a new job? Good luck with your studies and you have inspired me to make some inquiries in that direction, so thank you! I am considering studying again as I have mentioned ... just not sure which direction to go with it. I love law and yet my soul lies in the human service area ... ideally I would like to do both, realistically that is not going to happen! 🙂 Thanks re the rotor cuff, apparently its surgery to fix it which really pees me off because it means me being incapacitated again. Not sure i can face doing that at the moment.
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Hi Jules Sorry to hear that the rotator cuff needs surgery. Have you had any physiotherapy for it at all to try to avoid surgery. Anyhow best of luck with the surgery when you do undergo it. Not sure if I am on the eligibility list yet but would be surprised if not. Hard to know how I feel 100% re the job I applied for, I've had a few disapointements in jobs and thus am a little more reserved in that way now. But I do feel the best thing is to have some more time before taking on a new job anyhow. With the law and human services, you could probably do both, ie some legal type position in a human service environment, community law, human rights, govt human service related law. I recently did a choosing your career type course to see if things had changed and before deciding whether to go back to study or not. I found it very insightful as it went into Myers Briggs and so forth. Cheers for now Deejjay
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Deejjay Thanks re the rotor cuff problem. I have considered physio but have been told it is unlikely to fix the problem. The problem is i live so far from anything and it all costs money and that is just not readily available at this time. Govt physio's arent available and then its petrol to cover the 50km round trip to attend an appointment. I am in a catch 22 vaccuum bag. haha I hate the situation i find myself in and at the moment there seems to be no way out. Time is meant to heal the fatigue and brain drain that i am experiencing and then hopefully i can get back to work and support myself once again. :) Anyhoooo onwards and upwards. Sounds great re the Myers Briggs and good that you found that helpful. I agree re law ... it does merge and human service type things do overlap. Re the job you applied for, it sounds like you put things in the lap of the gods and will take whatever direction it sends you in. Kind of a good way to be i think and have done similar myself. It is hard to be in limbo though and it kind of adds to the existing limbo we find ourselves in. I am trying to eliminate some of the limbo that i find myself in, not easy when you have to deal with a heap of people that dont understand my current situation. Oh well !!! 🙂 You take care and talk soon Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.