Tips for eating after a Whipple operation

mikey
Contributor

Mollie asked a good question in another thread and I thought it was worthy of it's own topic. So does anyone have any good tips for eating after a Whipple operation?
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
margro
Frequent Contributor

Good question,Mikey!I found it very hard eating anything after my op until I started on enzyme tablets.One thing I find even now,any fatty food is out if the question.It's great going down,but,about 15mins after I need to find the nearest place to lay down and feel yuk for about 30mins!Small frequent meals are the best way to go.Pasta is great.Dairy products can also be a bit iffy,but then again everyone is different.One thing I have found is that I can tolerate something one week and the same thing will make me feel sick the next.Good luck everyone
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

That is good information, thankyou, I am going to ask Dads Dr about enzyme tablets. How soon can you take them after the Whipples? Also did you find any supplement drink that tasted alright?
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

As far as I'm aware you can take them pretty much straight away but check with the dr.I started taking them about 4wks after.They helped pretty much immediately.I found until then I was getting a lot of discomfort after  eating,kinda like severe wind pain.I remember lying in bed crying and wondering if it was worth it!What a sook!Anyhow,once I started on enzymes,about 75% of the discomfort went.One thing I did enjoy when I first came home were 'up n go's.They are a breakfast drink....2weetbix and milk.Thing is,didn't you mention dad is diabetic?If so,I'm not sure they would be ok.
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

First of all- do you like my flowers? They are for you margro for helping. Yes Dad is a diabetic but they are not worried about that at the moment. I read the Pancreatic Cnacer pdf on the website and it has a part on nausea and vomiting after Whipples. I am going to try the Up & Go's and freeze them in those kids iceblock moulds and then he can just suck them without having to feel like swallowing big amounts. It is hot here too and I think that might help. I'll let you know.
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

Hi Mollie,love the flowers thankyou!!!!!I'm really pleased he is coming home soon.It will make everyone feel better!Been thinking back to what I was eating and another thing that i could tolerate and enjoy was soup!Preferably home made but things like Velish(no additives etc)and that was really nice...specially the pumpkin!!!!!Steer clear of anything fatty or oily cause while it might go down well it tastes s..t coming back up!Tuna is also excellent,you can buy the small tins in spring water and they taste good and no oil.Another thing I found was that I can tolerate extra virgin olive oil.Maybe you could use that when cooking.Good luck,hope some of this helps,Margro xxxxxxxxxx
0 Kudos
mollie
Occasional Contributor

I spoke to the dietitian at the hospital and she agreed 'Up an Go' icebocks are worth trying. Looks like Dad might come home early next week, things are settling down. The dr says it isnt so much a setback but part of the recovery. We are running up to Xmas now and not sure if Chemo will still go ahead now before next year. I would like to see dad stronger. Dr told dad about Creon tablets too. One day at a time is definitely the recipe, I agree.
0 Kudos
Kezza1
New Contributor

Nearly 5 weeks post and the biggest problem for me is fats. Goes straight through cant even pass wind without a problem. Lots of small meals at the moment seem to work best for me started enzymes today so we will see if that makes a difference with the fats. Fruit i can tolerate really well even now. Il let every one know how the enzymes work over time.
0 Kudos
margro
Frequent Contributor

good luck kezza! i have found grapes are excellent,also apples and any sort of melons,however i cannot tolerate oranges!even with the apples i have to peel them first. good luck with the enzymes,margro
0 Kudos
Jan
Occasional Contributor

Yes good luck with the emzymes. You may have to adjust the dosage to suit your needs. One size doesn't fit all. I can't handle watermelon, but other melons are fine. It is a case of try it and see and I look forward to hearing your progress. Jan
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.