Travel insurance

Max
Not applicable

Travel insurance

I am interested in finding out if I can get travel insurance to Vietnam. I have thyroid cancer that has spread to bone sites and very much want to travel to Vietnam for my 50th birthday. I would be grateful for any advice
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
The_Rowan
Contributor

Re: Travel insurance

Hi Max, I have recently returned from a trip to Thailand and had similar concerns about travel insurance before I went. You will be able to get travel insurance from most of the usual places, but you will find that they will not cover your 'pre-existing condition'. This does not mean that they will not include medical cover at all. It just means that if you fall ill due to your thyroid cancer or any other condition related to it, you will not be covered for treatment in Vietnam or the cost of emergency flights back to Australia. I chose to go with the travel insurance that my health fund provided, but there are many other places to source your insurance from. I hope you enjoy your birthday in Vietnam. I'm currently looking at packages for there as well. Good luck and enjoy your trip. Leah
0 Kudos
gn21
Occasional Contributor

Re: Travel insurance

Hi As someone with Stage 4 Lung cancer I suffer from the same problem. I have travelled, since diagnosis, to Russia, Cambodia, Vietnam, Burma, Canada, America, France, Ireland, and got back from New Zealand yesterday. In June I am off to Germany and Hungary. And Leah is right. We can't get insurance for things related to our pre existing condition. It's a bummer but I just take the risk. And keep my fingers crossed. Enjoy Vietnam, it is a truly fantastic country! Gail
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.