Weight loss and treatment

Philip
Occasional Contributor

Any suggestions for building up body fat during treatment?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
jules
Not applicable

No I don't ... but I'd be interested in hearing if others do
0 Kudos
Not applicable

hi there protein drinks worked for me and exercise too
0 Kudos
Lissy
New Contributor

We learnt lots of things at a Quest for Life conference. My husband lost about 20kg at the start of treatment, & he's only gained about 5 back. We are trying so many things but nothing seems to help. I guess it will take time. (It's a huge thing to go through a bone marrow transplant I guess?) Unfortunately the Dietician at the hospital was suggesting all kinds of junk food in the early days because she was so desperate that he put some weight back on, but too much fat just makes him feel ill. He's always been a healthy eater. Plus his appetite has shrunk, so eating more is not the answer. I guess everything that is eaten needs to count - as the "chef" that is a little stressful at times! All the best to you all as you continue the journey...
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Re: Weight loss and treatment

My problem was the weight that I gained while on treatment, but when I first started and they thought that I might lose weight the dietician suggested things like baked custards. My mum made these and I found these really easy to eat and yummy! Not meaning to be trivial as my experience was quite different and I am still trying to lose the weight from the steroids but those old fashioned goodies that may be highly calorific (which is what your husband needs I guess) are often fairly easy to digest and may be easy for him to come at. Another friend who lost wieght found smoothies good particularly in this hot weather, possibly with an egg in it if he can stomach that. Samex
0 Kudos
emilyk91
Occasional Contributor

If you see you dietician at the hospital you receive your treatment at the dietician can give you some protein/energy drinks to try and then if you want to order some you can. They help you gain weight because they have a bit of fat in them and also alot of good viatmins and minerals. You can buy Ensure I think its called? Well its a protein powder that you can buy from most chemists, you can add it to milk shakes, it thickens it up and you can't even taste the difference! The dietician told me to eat things that I normally wouldn't eat all the time, like have a chocolate bar for a snack nearly every day, things that are high in fat and sugar will make you put on weight. Well that's what I did, since I lost a bit of weight while having radiation and it sure helps put the weight back on. Hope that helps xx
0 Kudos
emilyk91
Occasional Contributor

sorry it's not ensure you buy at a chemist its proform lol
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.