adenoid cystic carcinoma

Lorraine4132
Occasional Contributor

Re: adenoid cystic carcinoma

Thanks Tassiedevil.  thanks but I am not a fan of bicarb and I don't get that thick mucus much but it's good for the others to know.

0 Kudos
archie
Contributor

Hi all. I amnow into week 2 of radiation and no real side effects as yet, except when I get back to the Cancer Care Units. Sit down, get about falf way thru a cuppa and it’s off for a 3 hour afternoon nanna nap.. one question I have though, are there an restrictions on the type of hair shampoo that you can use? I know there are restrictions on body wash and soap and tooth paste and those sort of things!
Many thanks for the comments and helpful information that has been posted here. My other half and I have been taking high rates of interest in all that has been said.
All I need to get now is my Blood Pressure down to reasonable levels.....this is a goal that I think is being passed on to my entire Cancer Care Service .
Cheers Archie
0 Kudos
Wombat
Occasional Contributor

So, had first radiotherapy today.  VERY surprised to already have some small ulcers and a sore throat after just one treatment 😞   But, I was given the bi-carb mouth wash at the hospital and it has helped 🙂 . I'm hoping that this is just a function of the "super" blast that was today's starting point..........

0 Kudos
Tassiedevil
Contributor

Hi Wombat                                                                                                                                                                                                                             Good to hear from you , sorry about your pain this early in your treatment I suppose everyone's body reacts differently to the radiation the first time, the throat I found is par for the course. I can only suggest ice to suck on I found it helped to cool my throat, maybe an icy pole, that's if you can eat normally. I myself didn't get ulcers until week 4-5, still a bit of a shock even though I expected it. Keep up with the mouth wash as it does help and don't be afraid to ask for something different if it stops helping. Hoping your reactions to radiation calm down as you continue on with the treatments.     Craig

0 Kudos
Lorraine4132
Occasional Contributor

Hi Archie

I just used my normal shampoo but I only wash my hair about every 5 to 6 days, so it didn't matter.  Yes, you need to rest.  

0 Kudos
Lorraine4132
Occasional Contributor

Wow, that's quick to get a reaction.  Keep up with the mouth wash.

Cheers

Lorraine

0 Kudos
Tassiedevil
Contributor

G'day Archie                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Great to hear from you and your other half and that you are feeling good so far. The nanna naps happen  mate its natures way of helping to repair the damage done by the radiation being pumped into you. I don't doubt the pump pressures gone up a touch, frightened the piss out of me for a bit I won't lie, I found the place I needed to get to when the mask went on and it was like nothing could hurt me after that. Maybe you can find your place and that can take the pressure off the pump for you. Its a subject that we all dance around and only you have your answer as to what the tune is. As to shampoo maybe a baby shampoo, I don't know as I had chemo as well and my hair fell out so it wasn't an issue for me. Keep your chin up, that is for your ''other half'' it does get easier.    Craig

0 Kudos
Tassiedevil
Contributor

Hi Lorraine                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Nice to hear from you I hope your travelling alright and things are going well for you looking forward to reading more of your posts on this site in the future. Craig

0 Kudos
Wombat
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Craig - such genuine words that even made me smile a little.  I don't know anyone herein but it's so reassuring to know my path has been (is being) walked already by each of you.  I hope I can do the same for those to come.  Two "zaps" down, 28 to go (that's the plan - I'm not going to do this shit more than once if I have any say in it!). 

0 Kudos
Tassiedevil
Contributor

Hi Wombat                                                                                                                                                                                                                           If you can keep a little smile on your dial you can put bigger ones on everyone else's. It's the secret to getting well I think. We all had a start point and couldn't see the end but every day it gets less and less until that final day when its over, then you know you can do anything you set your mind to.                            And to me that was the biggest revelation after all of my time on the table I hope this helps.                       Craig

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.