hi I'm a new member

joybell
Occasional Contributor

hi I'm a new member

hello I'm new to this group. I have just finished my sixth and last round of chemo for breast cancer.I have to start radio therapy, on monday, for a month.Am a sole parent, but have had my son, and parents help and support.My Dad, has had bowel cancer, 13 years ago, and has just been diagnosed for more treatment to start soon. So, there's a little bit about me, am happy to be here, somewhere I can share my experience with and maybe make some cyber friends..ha
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: hi I'm a new member

Hi joybell Welcome to the site,I hope you find what you are looking for on here. THere are many great people who support and contribute and share their stories so that makes us all feel a little less on our own. Least that is how I find it. All my best Julie
0 Kudos
joybell
Occasional Contributor

hello Julie, Thankyou!..joy
0 Kudos
nessk
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joybell, I just started my 2nd round of chemo for breast cancer, my first round was awful I was so sick from it and ended up in hospital. How did you cope with the nausea and your child. I have two young girls but I'm lucky to have a lot of help. But I still feel a little useless not being able to be a mum to them. I have 2 more rounds of chemo before I start oral chemo, then after that I have radiotherapy. I'm at this stage not sure if I want to go through a reconstruction as it looks like a lot to go through to replace a boob. Did you have a mastectomy?
0 Kudos
joybell
Occasional Contributor

hi nessk... Sorry late reply. Also sorry to hear you have been so crook with chemo.I was the same, I did learn to cope with side effects with meds, I had Nausea, Constipation, and then my Bladder stopped working...Hospital 3 times...!!!>>>BUT, dont dispear, caz you will get really good at self medicating and preventing side effects, before they make you unwell...thats what I did...I took nausea meds BEFORE I got nausea, caz I learnt when it hit me, and I hit it FIRST!!!!... Also, if you can manage it, drink lots of water...if you cant manage to drink, suck on ice cubes...caz that will help you flush out, and that helps your kidneys cope with flushing out the chemo, after it has done its job... I had my Mum come over, on my bad days, after chemo...Thats great you have support.I know its hard and you like to do everything yourself, but you cant at the moment.Make the most of the help that you have and hand it over to them and just concentrate on yourself and getting better.My son is 14, he just would come and lay on my bed and chat, and this was actually a really nice intimate time for us... No, I didn't have a masectomy, so, I can't advise there.I had a lumpectomy,but I may have the reconstruction, caz it doesn't look terrific and I feel self conscious about it...all I can say is, maybe wait until all your treatment is done, and see how you feel then about it...too much going on to decide now, maybe?.. Take each day as it comes, keep well, keep in touch and God Bless, you can do it, we are so much stronger than we think we are. regards...Joy xoxoxoxo
0 Kudos
nessk
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Joy. I've found it really hard to find someone to talk to that is going through or been through the same. I put up a post and a few people have looked but no one has posted on it. Then I found your post here and are glad you responded, so thank you. My 2nd chemo I was stressed before I even got there. I felt like I was going to burst into tears the whole time I was there. I'm really trying to stay positive but it is really hard at times. I keep telling myself that's 2 down. Thank you for the advice about the ice, I will be giving that ago. Kind Regards Vanessa
0 Kudos
joybell
Occasional Contributor

Hi Vanessa...That's ok, no probs... Hey, I know what you mean, about getting stressed before a round of chemo.I found I would get anxious, the night before.I found, listening to music, on my Ipod, really soothed me,during the treatment too...And, my parents would drop me off and stay and hold my hand, when the canula was put in...when I got a Portacath, which I still have, I found it easier, because it was better for me than a canula...every-one is different tho. But, don't try and be Superwoman,it is crap having to have chemo, so crying is a very ok response to the whole scenario...don't suck it in...Oncy nurses are so nice, they are used to us crying,they give good hug...haha Where abouts in the world are you?... Does any-one go with you?...maybe some-one could go with you to make you feel more grounded? Yeah, I would say, hey,I'm one third of the way through, or wow, I'm halfway thru!!..Yay me!!! You can do it...it's so shit that you have to...but, if I can,me, the biggest sook ever, then you can too...you get really good at managing any side effects, and you get a routine with it all. I'm so happy to be of any help, so just feel free to write to me, ok?...you can do it...we are so much stronger than we realise.. Regards and blessings...Joy
0 Kudos
joybell
Occasional Contributor

Hi Vanessa...That's ok, no probs... Hey, I know what you mean, about getting stressed before a round of chemo.I found I would get anxious, the night before.I found, listening to music, on my Ipod, really soothed me,during the treatment too...And, my parents would drop me off and stay and hold my hand, when the canula was put in...when I got a Portacath, which I still have, I found it easier, because it was better for me than a canula...every-one is different tho. But, don't try and be Superwoman,it is crap having to have chemo, so crying is a very ok response to the whole scenario...don't suck it in...Oncy nurses are so nice, they are used to us crying,they give good hug...haha Where abouts in the world are you?... Does any-one go with you?...maybe some-one could go with you to make you feel more grounded? Yeah, I would say, hey,I'm one third of the way through, or wow, I'm halfway thru!!..Yay me!!! You can do it...it's so shit that you have to...but, if I can,me, the biggest sook ever, then you can too...you get really good at managing any side effects, and you get a routine with it all. I'm so happy to be of any help, so just feel free to write to me, ok?...you can do it...we are so much stronger than we realise.. Regards and blessings...Joy
0 Kudos
nessk
Occasional Contributor

I live in Adelaide. I've been going to an amazing Hospital called St Andrews. I found when I had my breast surgery all the nurses were just Amazing, so I decided to do my treatments around there and got recommended to my oncologist Trevor Malden. Highly recommended and I was told at my last chemo session he is one of the best in South Aust. Where about's do you live Joy. And how has the radiotherapy been. I think in your first post you had just started. Also Did you have to have oral Chemo at all. I have 4 IV chemo and then a further 3 lots oral chemo which I think a week of tablets then 2 weeks off then start again. It just seems never ending. I'm hoping that lot will be a lower dose that wont make me sick. after chemo I start radiotherapy for 5-6 weeks. I have a holiday book at the start of October this year with my family which was booked before the nightmare started. I'm hoping all my treatments will be finished by then. then I can have a much needed relaxing time. Today is day 7 after 2nd chemo and I'm happy to say I'm starting to feel better Yay. I just wish it wouldn't take so long to feel better each time. I have 2 little girls 4 and 1 and my husband has been great. Although very stressed having to work full time and then come home to being a full time daddy to 2 hypo children. Lucky for him he has a lot of support at his job and they have been very flexible with him. He also has a few people to talk to that are going through the same. :) Vanessa
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.