Hi from Isatracey

Isatracey
New Contributor

Hi from Isatracey

Hi everyone I live in Mount Isa but I am currently  sitting alone in hospital in Brisbane, after having a radical hysterectomy a few days ago, during  Covid19 so I’m feeling isolated and teary and scared. 

7 REPLIES 7
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Hi from Isatracey

Hi Isatracey,

It can be a very scary experience going into hospital for surgery, even more so when you're in an unfamiliar environment and potentially without any of your usual support.

It's completely understandable.

How are you feeling (other than the obviously scared)?

How did the surgery go?

-s

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Hi Isatracey,

Im echoing Sch. I welcome you here, if you haven’t been before.

Do you have connections with the mine, or the industry @ Mt Isa. I lived in Darwin for a while and had a neighbour from “the Isa”,  A very lay back & funny man.

I have connections in Broken Hill, another mining town, with quite eccentric locals. I own some property there & a brother, who moved back. I go back often & it’s like a step back into history.

I know this COVID issue is a problem, especially for those like you in a hospital bed. I hope you have crosswords, books and the like to help pass the time when you get sick of the computer.

Please keep in touch, I’ll watch out for your posts. Get better soon & home to The Isa.

cheers......Lindsay 👷‍♂️

Isatracey
New Contributor

Hi Sch

I think the surgery went to plan although  I’ve had to stay in hospital a bit longer than thought.

I’m very lucky that my husband could accompany me to Brisbane however he is going a bit stir crazy in our accommodation and it’s difficult for him and me that he can’t visit me. 

I have been alternating between being lonely and scared and sad with pain over riding everything. I’ve developed an infection so that hasn’t helped but I think the antibiotics are starting to take effect so today is a better day so I’m trying to enjoy it.

Cheers Tracey 

0 Kudos
Isatracey
New Contributor

Hi Lindsay

Thank you for welcoming me to this forum.

Neither myself nor my husband work in the mines but basically everyone who works (and lives) in Mt Isa is dependant either directly or indirectly on the mines. I haven’t been to Broken Hill but have heard that it is similar.

Im very lucky that my husband could accompany me to Brisbane but he is going stir crazy in our accommodation. It’s hard going through this and he can’t visit me. I’ve developed an infection so my hospital stay has been lengthened. I have been reading, sudoku, puzzles, podcasts and card games!!!

Cheers Tracey

Lindsay
Frequent Contributor

Hi Tracey,

It sounds like Broken Hill & Mt Isa are similar.

Bad news your husband isn’t able to visit.it must be hell for both of you.

I hope you can pass the time quickly & head home.

Take care Tracey and get well soon.

Lindsay

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Tracey,

I'm sorry to hear about the pain.

One lesson I've learnt the hard way, is to tell the nurses if you aren't coping well with the pain.

Explain to one of the nurses that you are in a lot of pain and ask if there is anything they can do to assist. You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.

I'm sorry to hear about the infection, although I'm glad to hear that the antibiotics are starting to work.

Good luck with your recovery and keep us posted on how you go!

-s

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Sending hugs @Isatracey, how have you been doing over the past week or so?

-Kate

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.