Lance Armstrong

Not applicable

Re: Lance Armstrong

I read the book and wasn't very impressed; it wasn't about the bike it was all about LANCE the aggressor. On the other hand I might find I remember something useful from it one day. Cycling/sporting friends love the book. The tour de france was on at the same time as i was reading it, that was interesting.. The process of reading it and picking it up and acknowledging I was in the cancer realm was difficult, that was probably more useful than the actual content. Cheers Jan
0 Kudos
Allicat
Contributor

I was interested to read It's Not About The Bike after reading the various opinions about it. I liked it early on in the book when he referred to himself as "An Inspiration To Us All" because he seemed to be making fun of this view of himself. But then later on he seemed to be buying into it which I did not like. However, while I hate the term "inspiring" I did find the book somewhat encouraging that he got back to the top level after his treatment. I am an athlete and I don't know if I'm going to get back to where I was before. I did not like how he thought it was for the best that he got cancer and now he is an improved person because of it. Maybe thinking like that helps him to cope but I would not like to think that way about myself. I did not mind his aggressive attitude towards fighting the cancer. That is just how his personality is & he did specifically say that your outcome was not due to your attitude. Overall I liked the book. It was interesting and easy to read. But it was only one person's experience of cancer and while there is obviously common ground everyone is different. Sometimes I have thought to myself that I know what it is like having cancer, but really I only know what it was like for me to have cancer.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I haven't read the book. You said that you didn't like the bit about it being best that he got the cancer because it made him a better person .I have come across that attitude before. It's certainly not how I think or feel. Having cancer changed me in some ways ,some for the better ,some not. I may read the book some time. I used to read every night before cancer but not at all since.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I haven't read the book. You said that you didn't like the bit about it being best that he got the cancer because it made him a better person .I have come across that attitude before. It's certainly not how I think or feel. Having cancer changed me in some ways ,some for the better ,some not. I may read the book some time. I used to read every night before cancer but not at all since.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

0 Kudos
sarah
Contributor

Any new thoughts about Lance with the recent drug exposure and consequent media frenzy? I've found it interesting to hear everyone go to town on him, some labelling him as a tyrant, pathological lier and even a psychopath. I have pondered on the likelihood and degree of mental illness, in particular PTSD, post his cancer experience, that has possessed him, or exacerbated personality tendencies to push to extremes. In my experiences, once gone through cancer, the world becomes a very strange and surreal place. I can see how it is possible that values, morals, ups and even downs become completely void. Sarah
0 Kudos
Allicat
Contributor

I've wondered if he felt that since his chemo meant he had had drugs that were been detrimental to his cycling ability it was fair enough to even that out by taking drugs that improved his cycling ability.
0 Kudos
harker
Frequent Contributor

I think he is quite pathetic and I feel sorry for him. He 'confessed' to Oprah that it was his competitiveness that drove him on and into dubious territory. Then he says he wants to be forgiven so he can compete again! You can't unscramble an egg, Lance. You need a new egg. H
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

I also think he is quite pathetic but I don't feel sorry for him. He knew what he was doing and he was doing it before he was diagnosed with cancer and had chemo. There are plenty of examples of people who have offended the public rehabilitating themselves, they do it by keeping quiet and by ensuring they keep their noses clean for a good long period. No-one does it by taking up the activities in which they offended. I feel sorry for those who took him as a role model, particularly those in Australia, and linked their success to his. As Harker says, 'you can't unscramble and egg'. Cheers Sailor
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Why when we click on this link are we taken to another page? I don't particularly mind participating in surveys, however, I do prefer it to be my choice to click or not! :) As for Lance, he isn't in my world and I am glad he survived cancer and got through it however he needed to. We have choices in life and we can choose to read and believe / adopt or we can choose not to. TO me it is always interesting to read how other people get through their diagnosis and sometimes I adopt their thoughts and ideas and at other times it gets discarded in my mental bin. Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.