New Study - is it worth joining?

koala
Contributor

New Study - is it worth joining?

Hi, I got a letter about a Cancer Study that is being done as part of a grant. The study requires to fill out some forms and provide a saliva (DNA) sample. Is this worth the time or it's just useless hassle with virtually no benefits for the participants? Do you have any opinion or experience? All the best, Koala
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Re: New Study - is it worth joining?

Hi Koala, is this the 'forgotten cancers' study? My husband and I both participated (my husband has no family in Aus, so I did the study as someone who has had a similar lifestyle to him). It will not immediately benefit anyone, but will provide more information about people who developed the less well known cancers, and so may lead to some useful conclusions in the future. It's completely voluntary, so fee free to do whatever you like. Emily
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Hi Koala Whether you participate is up to you,if it is the forgotten cancers project, like Emily and her husband ,friends and I have participated in the study, I think any contribution no matter how small will hopefully help future developments in all cancer treatments and studies Kj
0 Kudos
nello
Contributor

I reckon participating in any cancer research is well worth it. The more we know about it, the better! I have done this particular one, if it's The Forgotten Cancers Project you're talking about. I didn't find it much of a hassle. You just have to send off a saliva sample and do a few online quizzes. Easy as pie 🙂
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I took part in the Forgotten Cancers study too. It was a couple of years ago actually . I was disappointed that my cancer wasn't addressed but not surprised as it's a rare cancer . Still, I'm happy to have participated and agree that taking part in such projects is a good thing as it is beneficial to some at least .
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I took part in the Forgotten Cancers study too. It was a couple of years ago actually . I was disappointed that my cancer wasn't addressed but not surprised as it's a rare cancer . Still, I'm happy to have participated and agree that taking part in such projects is a good thing as it is beneficial to some at least .
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

I think any participation in studies is a good thing. WOn't necessarily help us but future cancer patients may benefit. Julie
0 Kudos
koala
Contributor

After a lot of research reviewing a lot of facts about these studies I reached the conclusion that these studies are not worth participating in for two reasons: 1. They are not aimed to find any new treatment that could save our lives 2. They take money from the pretty small pot to the detriment of valuable research that could result in a treatment that saves lives. In principle it seems that most of those studies are just done to further somebody's academic career because they are needed for promotions. That is the conclusion I reached based on following up results of many of these studies.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.