New diagnoses

Belinda56
Occasional Contributor

New diagnoses

Hi I’m 56 and have been diagnosed with stage 3 breast cancer three weeks ago. I started chemo last week and had the usual side effects it would seem.  Aching bones where it hurt to get off the couch then dry mouth , indigestion, diarrhoea and what I dreaded most , crying and feeling so down I’m finding it hard to get out of bed.  I’ve never been a depressed person and this is scaring me.   Should I seek oncologists advice and go on an anti depressant?  Is this even feasible ?  My next chemo is mid December 

How do I get over these feelings? Help !

4 REPLIES 4
sch
Super Contributor

Re: New diagnoses

Hi Belinda56,

I'm very sorry to hear about your stage 3 cancer.

I'm glad that you've made a start on your therapy already.

If you are feeling down and you are struggling to cope, you need to seek/ask for help.

You could speak to your oncologist. That would be a good start. They may ask you to talk to your GP for a referral (I actually have no idea personally) .

If it's easier/faster to make contact with your GP, then go with that. Your GP might be able check with oncologist if required.

My feelings and hope are with you. You can do this.

-s

0 Kudos
Belinda56
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your message and advice.  I saw my GP this morning and I have an anti depressant   She was very kind and supportive and I feel a lot better today.
I know it’s going to be a difficult journey ahead and hopefully my mind will be more able to accept this and cope a bit better.  
the one thing  that terrified me more than anything ( besides facing my mortality , was becoming depressed.  That’s never been be.  I hope life is somewhat more positive going forwards 

Thanks for the positive words. 
xxx

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Sending big hugs to you @Belinda56 🤗

Have you spoken with anyone on 13 11 20 at all? We have a program called Cancer Connect that I think would be valuable to you right now - you can find out more: Talk to someone who has had cancer 

-Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

0 Kudos
Belinda56
Occasional Contributor

Thanks very much for your message and support , it’s very much appreciated 🤗🤗

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.