Newly Diagnoised

Kate985

Newly Diagnoised

I am 38 and recently found a lump in my left breast, it has been a whirlwind 2 weeks of tests and appointments but i have been diagnoised with stage 2 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and have 4 tumors in my left breast. 

Surgeon has recomended a double masectomy, Chemo and Hormone blockers 

I have 5 beautiful children aged from 7-14 and i am gutted. 

I am scared of the journey ahead, Worried for what my kids will go through and see 

I am only 14 weeks into a new job and scared they will dismiss me 

There is just so much unknown and im struggling 

I would love to just connect and share the journey with someone 

2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnoised

Hi Kate,

I was 40 when diagnosed with stage 2 bowel cancer (2017).  I had 2 young primary school aged children.

The surgeon recommended a total colectomy and then a doctor (part of my treatment team) recommended 6 months of chemotherapy.

My kids remember it. They remember me being in hospital for a while and on occasion I had to take them to chemotherapy with me, but they are resilient.

I was 24 weeks into a new job at the time.  Some people have differing approaches to this. I was up front with my employer and disclosed to them that I had just been diagnosed with bowel cancer. 

I negotiated some time off work and worked from home (this was before covid) for a while.

Good luck!!

Cindi54
Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnoised

Hi @Kate985

I'm so sorry about your breast cancer, you're so young.

It must be such a shock for you.

Have you decided to go ahead with the double mastectomy, or is it just one?

I had a double mastectomy last year when I had breast cancer.

I recovered pretty quickly, which surprised many, but i was determined to get better.

I hope you can decide what to do without too much stress, it is amazing how advanced they've become in helping women with breast cancer.

Sending you hugs,

Cindi xx

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.