Newly Diagnoised

Kate985

Newly Diagnoised

I am 38 and recently found a lump in my left breast, it has been a whirlwind 2 weeks of tests and appointments but i have been diagnoised with stage 2 Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and have 4 tumors in my left breast. 

Surgeon has recomended a double masectomy, Chemo and Hormone blockers 

I have 5 beautiful children aged from 7-14 and i am gutted. 

I am scared of the journey ahead, Worried for what my kids will go through and see 

I am only 14 weeks into a new job and scared they will dismiss me 

There is just so much unknown and im struggling 

I would love to just connect and share the journey with someone 

2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnoised

Hi Kate,

I was 40 when diagnosed with stage 2 bowel cancer (2017).  I had 2 young primary school aged children.

The surgeon recommended a total colectomy and then a doctor (part of my treatment team) recommended 6 months of chemotherapy.

My kids remember it. They remember me being in hospital for a while and on occasion I had to take them to chemotherapy with me, but they are resilient.

I was 24 weeks into a new job at the time.  Some people have differing approaches to this. I was up front with my employer and disclosed to them that I had just been diagnosed with bowel cancer. 

I negotiated some time off work and worked from home (this was before covid) for a while.

Good luck!!

0 Kudos
Cindi54
Occasional Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnoised

Hi @Kate985

I'm so sorry about your breast cancer, you're so young.

It must be such a shock for you.

Have you decided to go ahead with the double mastectomy, or is it just one?

I had a double mastectomy last year when I had breast cancer.

I recovered pretty quickly, which surprised many, but i was determined to get better.

I hope you can decide what to do without too much stress, it is amazing how advanced they've become in helping women with breast cancer.

Sending you hugs,

Cindi xx

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.