Online Chat.

SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Online Chat.

The Rare Cancer Alliance is on and off Facebook.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I want to add that at least here we have been able to mention other sites. I met a Brisbane lady on the Rare Cancer Alliance .I wanted to direct her to this site but it is not allowed ,even in a private message . If I tried it would be deleted. I tried this once for someone else and that's what happened . So much for" private "messages there. I did send her a message to say I'd like to talk through emailing but am still awaiting a reply.
0 Kudos
Stitch
Contributor

Hi Silly, It is great to be able to chat to other people with out having to be really careful how you describe your feelings or pain. I supose we will get there .... If you send me a private message I can send you my windows messenger or skype email then we could chat there. some days I wish I had a common cancer (if I had to have one at all) Having a rare one brings difficulties & challanges to both us & the medical profession. But still I am glad it is me & not my husband or son who have it. Gwen
0 Kudos
Deb1960
Occasional Contributor

When I first joined Cancer Connections I hoped that I would be able to find like minded people in a similar situation to chat with, this has not been easy, many times you think that you have made a connection with someone and then you never receive an answer. The few people that I have had the privilege to connect to one on one have enabled me to talk about some difficult subject matters with people who do know what I am going through. Through this sharing and support of each other we all become stronger, everyone needs to talk, at all times of the day and night. We use MSN messenger, a safe, ad free and private set up that can allow up to 15 people ( I am sure someone will tell me if this is incorrect) to chat per session. Is there any way that Cancer Connections can set up a notice board allowing us to ask for like minded members to private message us, this way we could message each other first to make sure it is a good match before we progress to giving out our MSN addresses (with MSN you still have to allow someone to be your friend and can block anyone you do not wish to chat with anymore) Deb
0 Kudos
Stitch
Contributor

I do like that way of thinking Deb. :-) Gwen
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I don't use skype or that messenger thing . I think that since there are many rare cancers with so few Australians having each it is dificult for some people .That is why I use US sites as well. I have been able to connect with many there who have my cancer. There is another where I met a few with my cancer .This site has about 800,000 people and many groups for different medical conditions,including cancers. It is called Inspire Health and Wellness .US sites are used internationally . One difference that stands out is that they do talk a lot about God and praying. Australians generally tend to keep their religious /non-religious views to themselves ,not so many Americans. Still I believe use whichever and how many sites you like . I will continue to stay here as it feels good to talk to others close to home.
0 Kudos
Stitch
Contributor

I will stay here as well as I like this site, but do wish we could chat in real time when I am stressed. Gwen
Anonymous
Not applicable

I meant to say ....yes it would be good.
I accidentally pressed post and posted nothing.
Must be my chronic stress in my life like the rest of us here.
Carers and family and patients.
David....
0 Kudos
James2375
New Contributor

Sorry but is this an English support group as my partner is struggling with her terminal cancer and I am trying to get any support from others and if there are any chat groups that you might know of ? Sorry for the unsolicited question but it’s hard to find info ?
0 Kudos
LostatSea
New Contributor

Dear Maggie.

i hope it’s alright that I just am average person am reaching out. But I want to listen I want to be there for you. I don’t know you but it doesn’t matter. I am 31 I have two kids and I lost my dad early this month to lung cancer and I am not going to pretend to understand what you are going through but I care! I don’t know you but I know I care and I want to hear your story and cry and laugh with you. I don’t know how to contact you other than this message and I pray it reaches you. Thinking of you Maggie. 
sending all my strength and love to you. Xx 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.