Lack of support from family members

Tiff123
New Contributor

Lack of support from family members

I wonder how common it is but I find some family members to be far less supportive and empathetic than I had expected. There are supportive words and there were offers of help when I went through treatment, some which I am extremely grateful for being followed through.

It doesn't help that I am not good at asking for help but help isn't always about doing stuff, in my opinion it's about showing up sometimes just to be company or calling to check in. I didn't think I'd need to ask for that, I thought that would happen naturally.

I found as time went on certain family members didn't even bother to check in for the purpose of asking about how I was going or whats happening thus far, I feel like when I bring up my cancer or treatment the empathy is lacking, sort of like they're not really invested in listening or learning to how this has affected me. I get the sense that some of them want to avoid the topic because it may upset them. 

When others have mentioned or compared my cancer to someone elses, especially those that are worse, even though they meant well in a positive way, it was offensive to me because I felt like they were invalidating and undermining my personal experience. If they took the time to listen they would understand the complexity and that there are so many factors within each individuals journey.

I am a very positive person so I don't complain constantly and I try to be optimistic, it's not like I'm constantly trying to talk about my illness and shove it down everyones throat. Me being positive doesn't mean that I don't need support or have bad days. Sigh.

I hope that if one of my family members gets a serious illness that I can do better than some of them have because I wouldn't want them to feel as lonely as some of them have made me feel

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Felicity_CCNSW
Cancer Council Team

Re: Lack of support from family members

Hi @Tiff123

It sounds so challenging what you're experiencing right now with the lack of support from your family members and friends. 

It can be such a challenging time navigating both the disease and how it impacts all areas of your life. 

If you're located in Australia, please feel free to contact Cancer Council for information and support on 13 11 20. 

Perhaps some other group members could share how they navigated a lack of support from family?

Take care, 

Felicity

CrissyH
New Contributor

Hi 👋
I'm here too,
I'm hearing you, and listening!
I'm less fortunate, I have not the luxury of friends nor family. I have The amazing world of Cancer Network, and I was told to try this on line forum .
And wanted to say 👋 .
Cheers
Crissy
Tiff123
New Contributor

I am sorry to hear that you have no friends or family to support you. I glad that you have this way to get support. All the best 🙏

Robyn66
New Contributor

I hear you. And I feel the same. Cancer is cancer. It’s awful and insidious. I have no family support except for my mother who is in a nursing home. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.