Ace / compression bandages after double mastectomy

Teacakes
New Contributor

Ace / compression bandages after double mastectomy

Hi, new to community.  Does anyone know how to wrap chest after double mastectomy?  Took off at hospital before I left, rewrapped by nurse and I don't believe it was the same as initial wrap.  My husband has wrapped me, but would feel slot better if I knew there was a certain way it's supposed to be wrap, like figure 8?  It's been one week today since the surgery, and I go back to doctor Monday. I had ICS and situ in left breast, due to the size of ICS cancer there was no alternative but to have total masectomy of left breast. The right breast had an inflamed lymph node and inflamed cyst, so opted for masectomy in right breast as well.  I went flat with no future reconstruction.  So back to my dilemma, the wrap.  I don't think the way we have wrapping it is enough, I am starting to have pain under left arm with certain moves.  Any suggestions? Thanks 😊

2 REPLIES 2
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Ace / compression bandages after double mastectomy

Hi @Teacakes and welcome,

How is your recovery from your double mastectomy going? Have you managed to master the wrapping yet?

I do hope you are doing well.

Cheers,

Kate

0 Kudos
Teacakes
New Contributor

Re: Ace / compression bandages after double mastectomy

Hi Katekat,

We have mastered the wrap.   When I went to Dr to remove bandage and drains, he said everything was healing nicely and I would need to wear the ace bandage for two more weeks.  So l had my husband to watch the nurse wrap me, he had been doing it right the whole time.  I can't get over how tired I am. They say a few more weeks and yet I heard months.  I think the older you are the longer it takes. The first week I didn't hurt so much.  But a bladder infection snuck up on me due to the catheter  I had in the hospital (I haven't had a bladder infection in 20 years) so I  haven't been a happy camper for about a week now, and the antibiotic is not going to be enough, so another will have to do or I'll have to go into the hospital because I'm allergic to so many antibiotics, ay-ya-ya, I don't think so!  

How is it going for you? 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.