Advice needed from someone knowledgeable about various cancer types

The_Backward_OX
Not applicable

Advice needed from someone knowledgeable about various cancer types

I've been diagnosed with cancer but, so far, no one knows which type of cancer. To explain: Eighteen months ago I had follicular thyroid cancer diagnosed. At the same time, a 15mm lesion was found in my right lung. I had a total thyroidectomy followed by I-131, which has successfully treated the cancer in my throat. On the other hand, the lesion didn’t react to the I-131, leading us to suspect it was either benign or a primary neoplasm. Two subsequent CT scans revealed no change in the size of the lesion. Then a third scan, a few weeks ago, revealed a sudden doubling in size, to 3.3cm, plus enlarged lymph glands. Histology of a biopsied clot last week has confirmed that the lesion is cancerous. But the radiologist stopped short of describing it as lung cancer. He said it could be either thyroid cancer or lung cancer and that clinical evaluation would be required, to figure it out. It will be some time before I get to see a senior cancer clinician for a consultation. And it will be some time after that before we start unravelling the puzzle. What I’d like to know is, how is a cancer type determined? My interest is fuelled by the fact that thyroid cancer is easily treatable whereas lung cancer mostly kills. Thank you.
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Advice needed from someone knowledgeable about various ...

I don't have the answer but I thought the cells would be identified after a biosy . I also wonder if the lung lesion is a metastesis as many cancers do metastesise to the lungs . I doubt anyone here can know the answer .
0 Kudos
Rubes1984
Contributor

Re: Advice needed from someone knowledgeable about various ...

Hi, I don't think I have the answer for u however from all of the research I have done it u generally have a primary cancer which spreads to other areas - especially the lung. I have lung cancer that has spread to the chest wall, lymph nodes, pelvis and posible liver (may just be a cyst tho -waiting the results). My cancer team said I have lung cancer that has metatisised. The problem with lung cancer is it doesn't show up on many scans until it 3cm or above. Depending on the type - if its an ademocarinoma (prob not right spelling) they generally grow slowly. However do spread to other areas fast. My lung tumour was 3cm x 2.9cm when first discovered, by lung surgery time it had grown to close to 5cm x 4cm (time lapsed was 3mths). They never imagined it was lung cancer due to my age hence all other tests were run and lots of waiting. How frustrating to not know and to have to wait to have these tests completed. Everyones experience of cancer is diferrent and this has only been my experience. I will pray they get these tests completed ASAP....I would assume by bronoscopy or by needle biopsy (i had both) to determine the lung legion type. Good luck and my thoughts are with you. Rubes
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.