Alternative treatment

StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Alternative treatment

Hi everyone Just wondering if anyone has looked into alternative treatments at all? That's what i'm looking into at the moment. My dad has stage 4 Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and is on chemotherapy to slow the growth of the tumour, but it's not a cure. I found a treatment centre which looks promising, it's called the Issels Oncology Centre in Mexico. They use a range of vaccines, juices, detox, etc. Has anyone heard of this place? I was quoted $40,000-50,000 for the cost of treatment for a 30 day program. That's a lot of money! But I'll do anything to keep my dad alive. Caitlin
0 Kudos
8 REPLIES 8
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Alternative treatment

Hi Caitlin Personally I would be very wary of some of the alternative treatments offered. A lot of these schemes are just scams to rip money out of people when they are most vulnerable. I would certainly be looking at the validity of their claims! All the best. Julie
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie Thanks for your reply. I don't really know what other options we have, other than looking into clinical trials. He's already on one and we've been told he's getting the placebo (they're not supposed to tell you that!) This place has been going for about 50 years, so I feel like that's saying something. I've always corresponded with a man who also had advanced lung cancer and was treated successfully there, so i'm hopeful about it. The big obstacle is the amount of money it costs. I'm going to try my hardest to find it though if there's a chance the treatment will work. I'm willing to try anything. I really feel like we don't have a lot of options with conventional treatments alone. This is their website: http://www.issels.com/
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

hey there... we tried that and honestly when your desperate i think u'l try anything 😞 we did the whole diet thing but didnt work 😞 xo
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Maddie Thanks for your reply. Are you saying that you tried the Issels Centre or that you tried diet alone? I'm sorry that it didn't work for you and yes when someone is given a terminal diagnosis, you want to try anything. Caitlin
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Don't waste your time and money. I have stage four cancer ad I have look into many different options. I am trying to cut off all sugar and meat. I purchased an omega 6000 and started juicing. These places would make you talk to people who would have you believe that they can cure cancer. If it was that easy everyone would be down in Mexico. Cancer is the second leading cause of death. They also recruit people to bring people in. It's a hoax it's a scam and most of the things they do in Mexico you can do here with yourself. I have been reading a book by Kris Carr. You should look into it she has some really nice cancer receipts. Good luck! I do yourself a favor don't go!
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Caitlin I totally get that you are feeling you need to try anything and everything. My only concern is that you will get ripped off and perhaps be given false hope. One you tube video I watched described a tumour coming out as a hard ball and this woman apparently magically got the tumour out with no surgery etc... My understanding is that tumours are actually jelly like, so just proves that it was complete bunkum that they were talking about. A lot of very desperate people wasted a whole lot of money and emotional energy on charlatans. I tried alternative treatment to compliment my first cancer treatment. It was mainly diet related and imagery. I have no idea if it had any effect at all except that it helped me at the time because I felt like I was able to do something to help solve my problem. Good luck with your decision. Julie
0 Kudos
Rubes1984
Contributor

Hi caitlyn, I would say don't give up hope yet, miracles can happen. I have stage four lung cancer, was treated with surgery and two lots of chemo. At the half way mark of treatment the cancer spread but then in Nov we got wonderfully clear scans. There is a lot of research around eating alkaline diet and avoiding acidy foods when having cancer. We found some benefit is modifying small parts of my diet. The next part Sounds crazy but there is lots of reseach around benefits of exercise during chemo to repair the body, assist with sleep and improve psychological wellbeing. I have recently come across some research that looked at cancer being a physical, biological and emotional disease caused by imbalances. If u are able to improve and manage these imbalances there have been positive changes in those people the research covered. I am not sure if I can share this research paper. I am aware this site is a Forum for support and information but im not sure if the site rules allow sharing of research papers/treatment sites. I think its important to realise there is no mircale cure (not that I'm aware), there is loads of research out there but remember the internet can push unreliable, not valid means or treatment. Have you considered talking with treating team about safe alternative options? I hope you are able to find the answers u are looking for. Remember there has been great improvements in treating cancer and its not always a death sentence. Good luck Rubes
0 Kudos
StressedOut
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rubes Thanks very much for your suggestions. You're so young to have such an awful disease! My dad is 64 and that's bad enough. It's hard to talk to the treatment team, as they aren't always available when dad goes in for chemo. I think he maybe has to make an appointment to go in and talk to them. I asked him if I could have his doctor's number to talk to him, but he said he would deal with anything that needed to be discussed. I have to respect his wishes, but it's frustrating. He's got his last dose of chemo tomorrow, this will be the 4th cycle. Then there's a two week break to see what they're going to look at doing after that and he's got his CAT scan as well. It would be great to talk to someone inbetween for some suggestions to what we could do. I hope you don't mind if I send you a personal message. It would be great to get some more information about the things you discussed. Kind regards Caitlin
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.