Avastin treatment

June
New Contributor

Avastin treatment

I have stage 111c Ovarian Cancer that spread to my omentun and have had surgery 2 weeks ago to remove my ovaries, uterus, lymph nodes and omentum. I have been offered the new drug Avastin in addition to the standard treatment of Taxol and Cardoplastin both intravenously and interportally. I would like more information on Avastin, the side effect and effectiveness of it. Anyone else out there who has or is having it?
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
exhausted
Contributor

Re: Avastin treatment

Hello June my husband was treated with avastin for a primary brain tumour. In his case he bought many extra months of life with avastin and had virtually no side effects. The avastin was stopped when the protein in his urine became to high which is a side effect but did not appear to cause him any discomfort.
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi June, it is also widely used in colorectal cancer. It seems to be one of the better chemo's as far as side effects are considered . Some of my friends have been on it for years off and on. Protein in the urine is a side effect that is monitored but it appears to be fairly low grade loss and ceases after the drug is stopped.Ron.
0 Kudos
June
New Contributor

Thanks for your comment. Dr informs me that Avastin may not be covered by Mediare or private insurance . Did you have to pay for your husband?
0 Kudos
maddie86
Contributor

my husband had that.. the only side effects he had from memory were tingly hands and feet and he couldnt drink anything icy cold he used to say it would be like razor blades down his throat.. he didnt loose his hair or anything but it thinned out...
0 Kudos
exhausted
Contributor

Hello again In our case we were meant to pay for the first 4 cycles and if the mri at that time showed improvement, which it did, then the drug company paid for the rest. We were really blessed as the hospital funded the first 4 treatments.
0 Kudos
Mango
Occasional Contributor

Hi My husband has been on a fortnightly infusion of avastin since April 2011. No breaks and other than some fatigue that was worse early in the treatment no apparent side effects. Or at least nothing attributed to the avastin. The avastin was commenced in response to a suspected progression of his brain tumour (GBM). We paid for the first 6 courses at around $3,500 each time. Private health paid back about $150.00 each time. Private hospital covers the infusions other than the excess we have to pay. I have heard from others that the avastin is fully covered for some cancers and for some people, and sometimes the patient is not asked to fund as many as six courses before it is offered free. So that must be a changing thing. Hope you find something that works out for you. All the best
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.