Bi Lateral mastectomy or not?

suemg
Not applicable

Bi Lateral mastectomy or not?

I have to have a mastectomy (1 breast) next week and my position has always been that if I need to have one removed then I would choose to have both removed. My mother passed away 30 yrs ago with breast cancer and my younger sister has had mastectomy and reconstruction, on hormone therapy and doing great! I wanted to connect with other women who had bi lateral (double) mastectomies because they had large breasts and didn't want to feel physically impaired. I would like to know if your decision to have both breasts removed was the right decision and why? I know this is really personal stuff and respect that, just hoping there is someone out there who might feel ok in talking about their journey with me so that I can make my decision on whether to go with my instincts and have both breasts removed or only the one with cancer present. Anyone??
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Jeniren
New Contributor

Re: Bi Lateral mastectomy or not?

I don't know if you are already on this site or not but you really need to post this question on the www.bcna.com.au I have had a double mastectomy but am on the small side sorry. I have had the expander spit in and will have silicon in April. I have no regrets, have had a great recovery and my self esteem is great. If u stay positive, healthy and fit through the process and choose the right surgeon u will be fine. Good luck with your decision making
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.