Bowel Câncer Chemotherapy

Snowball36
Occasional Visitor

Re: Bowel Câncer Chemotherapy

Hi Bianca,

I feel like I'm in a pretty similar situation to you although I'm a bit older.  I am 45 years old, with Stage 3 bowel cancer which I was diagnosed with in March.  I barely drink, have a very healthy diet, practice yoga, love swimming, walking and have rarely taken any medication in my life.  I would also say I have a bit of a phobia of ingesting anything toxic.   I am just about to start my fourth round of chemo, I have to complete eight in total.  The day before my first treatment  I was in full fight or flight mode, so fearful of having to 'poison' myself with these drugs.  The first couple of weeks were awful,  I made it through the first infusion with my sanity intact but I felt very anxious about having to put the tablets into my mouth.  I just did not want to do it and nobody could force me.  However, I had to face the reality that I was actually really sick even though I felt and looked fine. 

My husband always likes to set me on the straight and narrow, he reminded me that it might feel like poison but it's most likely going to prolong my life and I want to grow old.  The way I get through my anxiety is to remind myself of the big picture.  I'm doing this for myself and my family, I need to be strong.  You might create a little mantra for yourself or thank your body for being so strong to get you through all of this trauma so far. My nurse also said to me, the human body wants to survive and thrive. Meditation, yoga, and long walks have eased my anxiety greatly.  As well as making regular visits to the hospital psychologist who is absolutely wonderful.  Be really kind to yourself  🙂 

Ben30
New Contributor

Re: Bowel Câncer Chemotherapy

Hi Bianca,

I know you’ve already had some great replies to your post but thought I would say hi as well. I’m Ben, 30 years old and live in Melbourne and was diagnosed with stage 4 bowel cancer (spread to liver) in late May. 

I feel the same way about Chemo. It is genuinely the scariest thing I have ever done. I was so nervous before my first treatment I was throwing up. I have recently finished round 4 of chemo and like you the side effects aren’t as bad as I imagined. The main side effects I’ve had are fatigue and nausea/vomiting. They have gotten a little worse for me each time. but not drastically and it’s not unmanageable. Then again some others like mouth ulcers and taste changes seem to be getting better the longer into treatment I get. I’ve just been trying to take each day as it comes and not look too far ahead as I find it a bit overwhelming thinking about all the treatment still to come. I’m also getting pretty nervous for my next PET scan the week after next to find out exactly what is happening with the tumours. Fingers crossed it’s good news! 

If you are still looking for support my partner called the Cancer Council and they were able to refer them to their in house counselling service as well as have a really good chat on that day that seemed to help a lot. 

All the best to you and everyone on here with your treatment and always happy to chat! 😊

0 Kudos
Mary60
Occasional Contributor

Re: Bowel Câncer

Hi my name is Mary I’m new to this .  I have been diagnosis with stage 3 colon cancer as it spread to the lymph nodes.  I have had the colectomy  surgery where they removed part of my bowel.  Now I’m waiting to see the oncologist in having the chemo.  I was wondering if anyone been through this and how they cope with it?  I’m very stress and down and I need to talk to people that have been there.  i would appreciate all the support I can get as this has been a shock to me.

0 Kudos
Bianca88
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mary,

I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I hope the surgery went smoothly and you are recovering well.

I’m very happy to help in anyway I can, I understand it’s a very scary time and not knowing what to expect can be very overwhelming.

Cancer is an incredibly difficult thing to go though and it’s completely ok to not feel ok!

You’re probably finding lots of well meaning people telling you to stay positive and offer advice but now is a time for you to be a bit selfish. Try to surround yourself with things you find helpful and uplifting at this time. I found during my treatment that some people just aren’t great with knowing what to say. I understand it was difficult for them also, they had the best of intentions and meant no harm but their words could be (unknowingly to them) triggering to me. I wouldn’t say anything to these people because I didn’t want to make them feel bad or fearful of upsetting me but I also knew I had to protect my own mental health. So there were certain people I opened up to and others I did not discuss anything cancer related with. If they tried I’d just say I prefer to talk about something else and they’d be fine with this. You’ll develop your own way to manage this if it’s an issue but my point is just to look after and protect your mental health because it’s just as important as your physical.

I’m not sure how much you know about chemotherapy but it’s a very tailored treatment these days. Your oncologist will work out the best treatment for you and monitor you closely throughout the process. There are hundreds of different types of chemotherapy drugs out there, it’s not a one size fits all approach anymore, chemotherapy is very different these days. Pharmaceuticals companies are constantly working to improve existing chemotherapy medication and make new ones to improve side effects and treatment outcomes. Even people with the same type and stage of cancer might be on different combinations and dosages depending on their age and health etc. You might also be taking the same chemotherapy drug as someone you’ve read about online but remember pharmaceutical companies are constantly working to improve these medications so since that individual went through their treatment that drug as probably undergone a lot more testing and improvements (this was information I was told by my doctor). If you do experience any side effects be sure to tell your oncologist because they can probably do something to help you.

And if your doctor prescribes you medication to help with side effects be sure to follow their advice as taking the prescribed medicine, at the correct dosage and recommended time can all have an affect and result in a much smoother treatment.

It’s also good to talk with your GP about things that you might not have time to discuss with your oncologist. I was able to discuss things like anxiety, low moods and difficulty sleeping with my GP and she was really helpful. 

A wise friend of mine who was also going through treatment gave me some great advice and that was to keep a side effect diary.

Record things like:

• what you experienced
  • What day in the cycle
  • Duration

It makes it easier to recall when you go back for your routine checks with the oncologist.

You might find you have to take a few different types of medications, so I also found it helpful to make myself a checklist. I listed all the medications I was taking (Monday to Sunday) and Id just tick them off as I went.

Cancer doesn’t discriminate, it can affect anyone and that means you have lots of different people with different personalities, who deal with it in different ways and like to express themselves differently, putting their own personal experiences and advice out there for others. But there is no right or wrong way to cope, you do what you need to do to get yourself through this time!!

Unfortunately there is a lot of distressing information out there about cancer treatment which can be extremely off putting for people beginning their journey. I almost didn’t go through with my treatment because I was so frightened but I’m so grateful I did.

There are many variables with peoples experiences, things like; how long ago they went through treatment, their mental state, if they are a more glass half full/half empty person and if they followed the medical advice given to them can all effect someone’s perspective. Unfortunately people are also more likely to talk about something if it’s been a negative experience. Those who’ve had a smoother experience probably haven’t felt the need to vent or talk about it as much which I think is why we have a very unbalanced perspective of chemotherapy still to this day (especially online).

After completing my treatment I was speaking with a customer at work and she mentioned she had just been diagnosed with cancer and her oncologist recommended chemotherapy but she was so frightened and didn’t want to do it. I was able to tell her about my experience and how I felt exactly the same but I got through it and encouraged her to do the same. She has since completed her treatment and said she is also very glad she did.

Please don’t let the reputation of Chemotherapy frighten you from starting your treatment. Chemotherapy is very do-able! It’s not a walk in the park of course but if I had to do it again, next time I wouldn’t hesitate. I really didn’t think I could do it but I did and if I can do it anyone can!!

I’m not sure if any of my words have resonated with you but I hope they have provided you with some calm and reassurance.

If you have any specific questions please don’t hesitate to reach out.

It’s such a roller coaster of emotions when you are first diagnosed but things will calm down. How you feel now will be different to how you feel in 1-2 weeks time and one day you’ll be the person giving reassuring words to someone else. A lovely quote I read was: you were given this mountain to show others it can be climbed!! Xoxoxo

0 Kudos
Mary60
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bianca

Thanks for your message it help me a bit and less nervous for when I go and have the chemo. I’m slowly recovering ok as I had the colectomy surgery about 4 weeks ago, now I’m just waiting for the oncologist and when I start chemo. All of this is just a shock to me just knowing I have cancer and I’m only 54. I know there is lots of people younger than me that have cancer. When I notice that I was bleeding a while back when I was living in Newcastle NSW I did not think of anything I thought it was Hemorrhoids?. So I didn’t do anything then when I turn 50 I started to get the bowel kit test sent to me, and when I did the bowel test it came back negative which was good. After a while I started to bleed so I went back to my doctor and told her and she sent a referral to the Newcastle hunter hospital in NSW for me to get a colonoscopy done this was in 2022.  I have been waiting since then in the public  system as I don’t have health fund.   So I went back to my doctor again and said still no answer?  So she sent another referral again and still no reply.   So in 2024 I moved to Orange in NSW I’ve been here 3 months so the first week I was in Orange  went to a doctor told her about it and she requested a urgent colonoscopy . In June I had a colonoscopy done and that’s when they found out I had a mass tumour.   So they booked me in to see bowel surgery and 4 weeks age I had another colonoscopy and a colectomy surgery plus they  removed one poly.  I’m thinking of joining a support cancer group but I’m not sure if there is any support group in Orange NSW.   If anyone on here knows of a group I would appreciate any help.  Once again Bianca Tks for your message I will keep you posted on how I’m going .  Hope your doing ok Bianca  

0 Kudos
Ashley_ccnsw
Cancer Council Team

Hi Mary60

This is Ashley from the Cancer Council. I'm so glad you reached out the community to get some support and perspective, and it seems like Bianca's wisdom has also really helped you.

In terms of any additional supports, I just wanted to let you know that we have a counselling service, and depending on the staging of the cancer, we also have options for our Cancer Connect service where you can talk to a volunteer who has gone through the same thing to get some peer support, or we also have Telephone Support Groups as well.

If you would like any information about this please call our 13 11 20 line and we can talk with you and assist.

Wishing you well for your treatment journey.

Ashley

0 Kudos
Mary60
Occasional Contributor

Hi Ashley,
Thanks for sending me a message, I will be considering what you said either counselling service or the Câncer connect service where you get peer support. I’m in stage 3 bowel cancer where it just started to go into the lymph nodes. I have had the operation which was the extended right hemicolectomy surgery. On the 30th September I will be seeing the oncologist regarding chemotherapy. Any support will be great Ashley
0 Kudos
Ashley_ccnsw
Cancer Council Team

Hi Mary60,

In that case I'll leave that with you, but if you need us, please call 13 11 20 and we can figure out what supports would be best.

All the best

Ashley

0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Hi @Mary60 

I was 40 when I was diagnosed with stage 2 bowel cancer.  I'm 47 now, so it was a little while ago.

I had a total colectomy followed by 6 months of chemotherapy.

Chemotherapy can be harder on some than on others, but overall it wasn't too bad.

I had lots of side effects. Goes with the territory.

Stay on top of your meds and preperation and make sure you talk to your treatment team about any symptoms or difficulties you've been having each cycle. They can help you with medication to help with the symptoms.

Best of luck.

s

0 Kudos
Mary60
Occasional Contributor

Tks @sch  I will keep you informed on how I’m going, I’m seeing the oncologist soon so not sure when chemo will start. Hope you’re doing well.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.