Chemo query

PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Chemo query

Hi Chemo folks

I started chemo yesterday. Tingling fingers are wierd. I just noticed my fingernails. Looking quite pinkish red under the nails. 

Is that expected?

My fingers are a bit cold and tingly now. Not sure if it goes away if I warm them up.

Cheers

Phil 

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Chemo query

Hi Phil,

Not sure about the pinkish red under the nails. But the tingling fingers? Yes, I had that, especially if it was cold.

You could try wearing gloves when you're outside and/or if it is cold. See if that makes a difference for you.

I used to also get the tingling feeling in the soles of my feet from the cold coming through my shoes.

I hope you were warned about the neuropathy. 12 months after completing my 12 cycles, and I still don't have full feeling back in my hands and feet. 

All good otherwise?

-s

0 Kudos
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Sch

I knew about tingling in fingers and feet. The feet was a shock first time this morning. I step off the bath mat and it started to feel like I had insects crawling under my feet. 

My treatment is only 3 months long. They did tell me that longer treatments take longer to recover and excessively long treatments may never recover.

Now that my hands are warm, my nails are back to normal colour .

Cheers

Phil

sch
Super Contributor

Phil,

I love the way you describe it as insects crawling under your feet. That is a brilliant way of describing it.

I remember the first time it happened to me, I had to look under my feet as I could have sworn there were earwig insects crawling under my feet.

In my experience I found that each cycle a little worse than the previous. Just be prepared.

-s

0 Kudos
Albundy21
Occasional Contributor

Yes , I’m due for my 4 th round next week , 12 rounds all up. The cold sensitivity was worse the 2 and 3rd round, wake up with cold hands and tingles, grab something cold from the fridge oouch! Even bottle of water left out near bed to cold . Cool water is just drinkable, but I’m sure after next Chemo round it will be warm water only. I also noticed the metallic taste in my mouth ...for me peppermint chewing gum seems to take the taste away. Also they suggest having more small meals during the day helps with Nausia . I have original Smith crips to munch on as a snack, this helps me when I’m feeling a little bit sick and save medication for when I’m really sick. See link below about Chemo and Cold Sensitive issue . Regards

https://discover.dc.nihr.ac.uk/content/signal-000603/fewer-side-effects-and-similar-benefits-from-sh...
0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Hi Albundy21,

Great article there. I've had numb hands and feet since I finished chemo. I suspect that after 12 months, it's not going to resolve and is permanent nerve damage.

Oh well 🙂

-s

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.