Cisplatin & Carboplatin

Kathyhtak
Contributor

Cisplatin & Carboplatin

My oncologist is changing one of my chemotherapy drugs - from Cisplatin to Carboplatin. I have had 10 cycles of Cisplatin with good results. I am a not sure what side effects to expect with the change, does anyone else have experience with both drugs? I will also be continuing with Xeloda, which I have been on for several months. (Gastro-oesophageal adenocarcinoma with liver metastasis, stage IV.)
0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Sailor
Deceased

Re: Cisplatin & Carboplatin

Hi Kathyhtak Not a lot of difference in effectiveness but carboplatin is a milder drug. Less likely to get high frequency hearing loss and kidney damage. This means that they can give doses that may be more effective. Still a danger of nerve damage. Cheers Sailor
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Re: Cisplatin & Carboplatin

Thanks Sailor. Well I had one cycle of carboplatin, nausea was milder than with cisplatin. But when had blood test immediately prior to 2nd cycle, my red cell, white cell and platlet counts were too low to have treatment. This was the first time in approx. 6 months of chemo that this has happened to me. Oncologist did warn be that carboplatin could be tougher on red & white cells. I go back tomorrow to try again for cycle 2.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.