Colonoscopy

bev
Frequent Contributor

Colonoscopy

Well, today I am doing the "prep", as tomorrow I will be having my second colonscopy in two years. It is going to be every year for me, so I want to ask a "personal" question, if anyone is willing to share their ideas. The PICO PREP doesn't taste too bad, it is just what it does to you. I understand why I have to have these every year, so I am working on making it easier. How do people manage the day before the colonscopy? Do you keep yourself busy or do you just laze around in between the many frequent visits to the toilet? I was really trying to convince myself this year was going to be better than last year's. I had just finished my radiation and I thought that helped with a lot of the discomfort. No, still there today. So, my question is: Just what can you can do to make it more bearable? Can anyone help with suggestions? Private messages are welcome as a lot of people might not like discussing this publicly. Surely, I am not the only person that has come across this problem. Thanks again,
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES 11
dunedigger
Contributor

Colonoscopy

Sorry you did not get any replies before your colonscopy.I have only had one. I took the day off and spent in next to the loo.  No was would I risk going to works etc etcDunegiger
0 Kudos
mihalo
Contributor

Colonoscopy

LOL I steal my husbands iphone and play sudoku on the loo for the day!!! Its very awkward when the kids (I have 3 little ones) want to come in for a chat!!! Cheers
0 Kudos
benlisecca
Contributor

Colonoscopy

Bev....what do you mean the Picoprep doesn't taste too bad?????  You must take a different one from the one  I gag on I was actually talking to a lady about it today and she said she mixed her powder in a little bit of water first and then in a glass of pineapple juice and it completely masked the taste - I will definitely be doing that next time.  The day before is a toughie isn't it.  I think next time I might drag the bean bag and tv into the ensuite and just camp there. If you have any good time passing ideas then let us know.Sharonxxxxx
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Colonoscopy

Got home just over a couple of hours ago. Last year I had 5 polyps removed, this year 0. Doctor was very pleased and so am I. Now, this time next year, get ready to do it all over again. Any comments on my first question?????????????  
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Colonoscopy

Hi Bev,That is great news, I am pleased to hear. Have a lovely weekend.
0 Kudos
Stacey
Occasional Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy

Hi Everyone I had a colonoscopy 2 weeks ago and I must admit in my opinion, the 'Picoprep' is much more tolerable than the 'Fleet' preparation that I have taken previosly. With the 'Fleet' preparation, I gagged the whole time I tried to swallow it. With the 'Picoprep', I managed to drink it down with no problems.
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Hello Stacey, I agree about the Pico Prep. Actually I don't mind the taste though it is yucky to drink knowing what happens next. I had a shock last year when I bought mine from the chemist, they sold me a packet of 3 and I thought that I was expected to take it all. Thank goodness only 2, whew!!!! I still have to sort out what to do on the day when you take the prep. My doctor suggested that I sit on the toilet all day doing mny puzzles. Now wouldn't that be a lovely thought....... Any suggestions on how to handle the day would be appreciated, as I have to have one every 12 months there must be a solution.
0 Kudos
MJ
New Contributor

Hi Bev, I have just come across this site and your post. Ah, the joys of colonoscopy preparation. For my last colonoscopy, I was advised to try Colonocaps or Coloncaps as it is a faster and somewhat easier prep. I bought them from the chemist for about $25. These are 65 capsules that are taken 10 at a time every 30 minutes in the late afternoon of the day before. Well they certainly worked - and compared to the other bowel preps I have tried, it was the easiest so far! It meant that I had all of the morning and part of the afternoon free to get on with my life. When I did start to take the caps I stayed near the loo - and I really needed to. The packet warns of the effects of dehydration, so I armed myself with some apple juice, water and a couple of pale coloured sports drinks for the electrolytes. I suppose I consumed 2.5 to 3 litres of fluid over a 4 hour period and this prevented feelings of nausea or dizziness (which I have experienced at other times). I am definitely using Colonocaps for my next prep. I felt so much better than I had using the other mixutres.
0 Kudos
stevec
Contributor

Yeah, there's no way I'd try to go to work after pico prep. I get a good book and try to get everyone out of the house for the day... not much else you can do. Its a bit hard to predict exactly when it will hit, but its best to be home alone when it does in my opinion. Luckily I dont' think I have to do it for a long time now.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.