Considering double mastectomy - any advice?

Agnes1
New Contributor

Considering double mastectomy - any advice?

In 2015 I was diagnosed with right breast cancer and had a mastectomy. I am now considering left breast mastectomy for prevention and for my congenital lower back medical condition/pain.

I am afraid and was wondering if there is any differences in recovery between single mastectomy (which I've had) and having double. Things to consider or look out for? Does the constant tingling and pain always stay?

Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

With much appreciation

Agnes

2 REPLIES 2
Agnes1
New Contributor

Re: Considering double mastectomy - any advice?

Thanks for letting me know however I was praying for advices and sharings of side effects and what happens with double mastectomy cancer survivors down the years.

God bless

Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Considering double mastectomy - any advice?

Hi @Agnes1,

Can I ask you to give our Cancer Connect program a call on (02) 9334-1870? Or you're welcome to send me a private message with your best contact details and I can have someone contact you. You can also email me - onlinecommunity@nswcc.org.au if you would prefer. There are two very lovely ladies working today, who would be more than willing to assist you.

We have trained volunteers who have had voluntary mastectomies that you could talk to about all the things you have mentioned, such as side effects and survivorship. All of them are now well again and thus have been where you are now.

Cheers,

Kate

Cancer Council Online Community Manager

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.