Esophagus cancer

Chutneyferrit
New Contributor

Esophagus cancer

Hi all Was wondering if ther is anyone out there who may be going through the same thing as myself. I am into my 4th week of chemo for esophagus cancer.
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
zelfren
New Contributor

Re: Esophagus cancer

Yes, we're still here. I was diagnosed with tumour & mets to lymph nodes, stage iv, in July 2013. Had Radiation, then 6/12 chemo. CT scans show tumour much reduced. Lucky with chemo, mainly just fatigue, no nausea. Will now remain on chemo via PIC line, to be monitored every 3/12. This site is quite helpful, there are others, ex UK & USA - some better than others, so search around. It is definitely scarey, what stage are you? Sorry you're chemo is making you feel bad - don't hesitate to discuss this with yr oncologist - if you've had radiation, that cld be the cause. Do use this site to vent feelings/thoughts you're not yet ready to share in person. We've all been there, and plsd to help you cope with this catastrophe. Wishing you all the best.
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

Hi I had stage IV esophagus cancer. I had chemo which enabled me to start eating again and killed the tumour completely and the biopsy's after the surgery all came back clear so I decided not to have further chemo after my surgery and I am now just over 2 years clear. The chemo was not as bad as I expected in regards to nausea but then I was constantly sick prior to the chemo but the tiredness floored me after the big doses for a few days. Good luck and hope all goes well and feel free to ask any questions and will help as best as I can. Kas
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

Hi I had stage IV esophagus cancer. I had chemo which enabled me to start eating again and killed the tumour completely and the biopsy's after the surgery all came back clear so I decided not to have further chemo after my surgery and I am now just over 2 years clear. The chemo was not as bad as I expected in regards to nausea but then I was constantly sick prior to the chemo but the tiredness floored me after the big doses for a few days. Good luck and hope all goes well and feel free to ask any questions and will help as best as I can. Kas
0 Kudos
Chutneyferrit
New Contributor

Zelfren thanks for you thoughts. Yes I am having chemo goes like this 1 full on 4 hour dose at the clinic and for the next 3weeks the annoying "baby bottle" 24/7. Through a PICC line This is repeated 3 session times. I am now on the. 2nd session. My age is 70 "young" 🙂 Biggest problem is nausea, the doc said today to take the nausea tablets 3 times a day, so that's what I will do now instead of when I feel nausea.. I have stage 3 esophageal cancer and they are looking for surgery after the end of this chemo treatment. Get headaches, told doc about that today and he put me straight down for a CT scan, apprently all is well in that area. All fun and games..haha. I must admit that the doctors and nurses are absolutely great. I not sure where you are my friend, but I am in Ballarat, Victoria , Australia. Zelfren, my thoughts are with you mate, hang in there, and we will beat the dreaded beast.
0 Kudos
Chutneyferrit
New Contributor

Kas Yea the tired part creeps up on you. Can sleep in the chair at the drop of a hat. I have the PICC in my right arm, and I am right handed, makes for great fun when having a shower. Good luck also to you my friend. Greg
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

A tip for the PICC line and showering wrap eh top of your arm in cling wrap over the PICC make life a lot easier, although in the end I resorted to a bath as I also had feeding tube in my stomach and it became easier to wash round the and my arm in an inch or tow in the bath. Kas
0 Kudos
Chutneyferrit
New Contributor

We tried a couple of things, found the best result so far was a plastic safeways bag with a small hole, then slipped it over and up the arm with the baby bottle, then taped around under the arm. Times like this i wish we had a bath...haha Greg
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

I used to wear the baby bottle on my arm all the time with a piece of tubi-grip the nurses gave me when they changed it, I then stole my husbands shirts to wear when I left the house to hide it so it was quite funny as people did not know I was on continuous chemo unless i took the shirt off and one medical place I went to thought my baldness was fro taking part in the biggest shave. So wearing the bottle like this enabled me to wrap myself u with cling wrap. Kas
0 Kudos
madmik
Occasional Contributor

Hi i just found out I have esophageal cancer and I will start chemo and radiation therapy on Monday 23 June. I have read the other posts and I will have a Picc line with 4 days of continuous chemo as well as daily radiation therapy. I am soooo scared. I have had previous stomach surgery and so they told me that surgery is not an option. I am a single mum with two young boys and I guess I just need some support. Kim
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.