GBM - Avastin

Smiley
Contributor

GBM - Avastin

I haven't been active on this site for a while - things with my husbands GBM have been challenging but manageable. Three weeks ago he began having seizures & since then downhill rapidly (he was diagnosed in April 2010) The dilemma now is the time has come to use Avastin. Given its a high cost drug we are appealing to our health insurance company as to whether they will fund as we have been indicated at $4800 per dose of which there are 2 doses monthly. The doctor mentioned that the drug company may cover costs if we get to dose 4 - gosh what do people do if they can't afford it ? Would be very grateful for fellow members to share their view
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
Mango
Occasional Contributor

Re: GBM - Avastin

Hi My husband has been on Avastin every fortnight since April 2011, so two years now and no disease progression. We paid for the first six treatments at $3500 each time. My husband must be smaller than yours! For us it has been well worth it. The treatment makes him a bit tired and he has lost quite a bit of weight but otherwise it is very tolerable. Doctors say that you can tell very quickly if avastin is going to work for you, maybe after only two treatments so you will know if it is going to be worth the cost quite soon.
0 Kudos
Smiley
Contributor

Thanks for your views - I really appreciate it
0 Kudos
tropical
Contributor

Hello Smiley, I'm sorry you're now at this point. We've been told that we gave to pay for the first few doses. I can't remember the number but we were told it's about $30 000. We've set it aside ready to go.... I assumed that we couldn't claim through our health insurance since it hasn't been approved for brain cancer in Australia. (From a cost rather than a clinical perspective.) That would be fantastic if it were covered but surely our treating teams would have told us?
0 Kudos
Smiley
Contributor

I'm not holding out much hope with insurance company but its worth a shot. I'll let you know how we get on - 24 to 48 hours they suggested
0 Kudos
tropical
Contributor

Our time has come to start Avastin. A check with the insurance company confirmed they don't cover the cost. We get the details tomorrow after seeing the oncologist. I hope all you other BT families are travelling as well as can be expected. Cyber Hugs to all.
0 Kudos
jobeth
Occasional Contributor

Hi Smiley, My husband has now completed his second Avastin treatment. We paid so far round numbers, $7k. We will have to pay for the next two and then from there it will be free. It's too soon to know what it's doing. We have an MRI booked for May 11, I guess that scan will be evidence of its work. 6 weeks ago was my husbands third craniotomy and his last. Radiation not offered. Oncology our last post. Two weeks after surgery I was told he had weeks to live at best. 4 weeks on from there and hes still walking, talking and living. He's a different version of his former self and his not a happy camper but he's not reached the end. So we continue..... All the best with the Avastin. Jo
0 Kudos
storm
Contributor

Hi Smiley Lorraine was fortunate to be able to be on Avastin when its was still being trailed last year. Avastin helped for 3 months before a new tumour started. Avastin was tolerable. Others have had much longer success with this drug. Caring thoughts Geoff
0 Kudos
husbandhasGBM
Occasional Contributor

If Avastin good and can stop the progression of tumours, why isn't it offered earlier. The only time Avastin has been mentioned to us is when we got a second opinion from Charlie Teo's office and they said they couldn't help, but that he should already be on temodal and maybe avastin. Our treating drs have never mentioned it. If it can stop progression, surely the money is better spent before suffers exhaust all other treatments??
0 Kudos
Smiley
Contributor

I agree with you too - If Avastin is the 'it' drug why not administer this drug earlier . That being said, my understanding is that temodal has proven effects, whereas Avastin has not as yet for GBM. Avastin seems to have many more side effects but so far we have not had to deal with these and are having dose 4 tomorrow. My only issue with Avastin for us is that in our doctors opinion its our last option - like the last chocolate in the box 😞
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.