Has anyone had the oral chemo - Xeloda (capecitabine)?

diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Has anyone had the oral chemo - Xeloda (capecitabine)?

Hi, I'm new to this site and was wondering whether anyone else has had the oral chemo - Xeloda? I had IV chemo in 2009 after being diagnosed with advanced breast cancer (with widespread bony mets). My cancer marker has been continually rising over the last few months, so the oncologist has started me on this oral chemo. I have only been taking it for 3 days, but it feels really weird, in that I dont feel like I am having chemo. I have been assured by the doc that this drug is just as strong as IV chemo, but I just cant get my head around taking it orally. If anyone has been on this drug, could you please let me know the side effects (if any) and whether it actually worked, and if it works as quickly as IV chemo. thanks heaps!
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
smiler
New Contributor

Re: Has anyone had the oral chemo - Xeloda (capecitabine)?

hi probably not a great help but i was on a double dose trial consisting of iv gapcetabine(or whatever its called lol)and capecitabline tablets. Unfortunately I only managed one week of both as the side effects (sickness and diarrhoea) were overwhelming. I've got pancreatic cancer and have been assured that the iv on its own will still do the job but I do kind of regret not being able to tolerate both as I feel it would have given me a better chance, but I feel that quality of life is important and I knew I couldn't have coped with 6 months of that. Hope the lack of side effects continues and that all goes well. Very best wishes
0 Kudos
mihalo
Contributor

Hi Dianne I am on Xeloda for Bowel Cancer. I have only had 4 cycles, but had about 6 cycles last year between chemo and surgery. The only side affects I had were sore feet and very sensitive hands. This happened over time. So I am up to cycle 4 now and only just starting to see signs of it now. moisturising hands and feet daily even on days off the xeloda should help to reduce these side affects. I too feel like I'm not on chemo! Although I do go in once every 3 weeks to have an avastin infusion, so that sort of feels like it, but no vomiting.....its nice! I feel like the xeloda is just like taking lollies compared to IV chemo, but my onc too assures me its doing something! Cheers Michele 🙂
0 Kudos
Julibean
Occasional Contributor

I'm on xelox for bowel cancer and it's definitely nothing compared to my iv infusion I have. I take 3000mg a day and I get a bit of nausea, dry skin, lips, abit of neuropathy and the usual tiredness all very manageable though.

0 Kudos
Joydee
New Contributor

I seen your post has been put up quite some time ago, how are you now?Hope all worked out well.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.