Head and neck cancer

tizz
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Quote: thanks for the information as I said I am still fing my way around the sites.  Do you know anywhere I can get information on what to do for a very dry mouth.  I have just started to put weight on and hope to get my teeth sorted out soon.  I would give anything to be able to have a piece of bread and meat with coughing and chocking.  Hope you are keeping well I am off to the Doctors tomorrow and hope I will get a good report.  I have joined a support group in Port Macquarie and have made come very good caring friends. We are having Xmas in July luch this week should be fun.  Take care Jenny --------
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Thanks Gaffo - I think here in Perth they have a lookbetter-feel better campaign which I will link in with after radiotherapy has finished. This summer I will wear a forehead bandana with my red hair! (At least I don't haVve to lose my hair-at this stage no chemo is planned) Thanks for your best wishes. We are going to watch a comedy tnite to get our minds off tomorro. I will post again when I am out. Calling all young people with head and neck cancer_ You and I can't be the only 2 under 40's who are going through this in a country of 21 million!!! 🙂
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

33 yr old with a forehead SCC that has metatastatised into my parotid and neck lymph nodes Hi Everyone, I am having surgery on tues 18th Dec to get rid of 'the nasties'. It is a 6 hour operation and I will be in hospital for 5-7 days. I am scared of surgery. the only operation I have had in my life is my wisdom teeth out! (17 years ago!) I am scared about what I will look like afterwards as I will have a skin graft on my face to remove the primary facial squamous cell carcinoma, plus the scarring on my neck! Anyone young with head and neck cancer- I would love to hear from you and how you coped with the body image stuff? Thanks Rarbie  
0 Kudos
tizz
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Gabe, Helen notified me today about this site, and about time too, as it's been lonely here in OZ. Thank whatever for OCF  Glad to see you're going OK. Cheers!Tizz
0 Kudos
Raven
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Gabe,  I'm new on this forum from US, Washington state.  I read your post about the Oral cancer forum you like; would you mind telling me which one?  I'm registered with the ACS survivors network forums www.acscsn.com, which are very informational but also very slow! I'm currently dealing with treatment caused health issues that I'm hoping to find encouragement with! Thanks,  Raven
0 Kudos
tizz
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Gabe,Possibly .org?Cheers!Tizz
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi guys, any tips for not worrying between post treatment scans? Ta, Rarbie
0 Kudos
rarbie
Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Mikey and Gaffo, I have had 15 fractions of 40 and feeling pretty chipper today. I hit a low earlier in the week and it was tough-but backinto life once again. I am still meditating and visualising and affirming a healthy me! My diet has slipped abit-food as a reward has been imprimpted into me as a child. Doh! And according to the DR's I will lose my sense of taste due to the head radiotherapy-so I am making the most of tasting my food while I can! Yesterday in the local paper was a list of all the best eating places in Perth and this weekend I am going to check some of them out! I am glad to be back to living life to the full. Does anyone know what makes some people more vulnerable to geting cancer young (young=under 40!)??? Thanks for your ongoing support guys, I still am curious as to the lack of interest on this part of the site.  went to my first head and neck cacner support group a few weeks ago and they were great-but i forgot to mention this site. Doh!
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Mikey,  I did subscribe but did not get and email to say that Tizz and you had posted. (Just checked to make sure my email address is correct)  It does come up in Red (Your Forums - Head and Neck 0/1) I hope you do not think this is presumptuous but would it not be better to show the latest postings (latest dates) at the top instead of at the bottom Thanks Gabe  
0 Kudos
Gaffo
Occasional Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi Rarbie, I'm glad your traveling ok. Don't worry about the food, as long as your getting a ballenced diet, a few treats along the way wont hurt. You still have to live for the day as well as the future. As for getting cancer at a younger age, there's different answers for specific types of cancer. For example, they can now detect a gean at puberty in girls that puts them in the highly likly group to develope breast cancer at an early age. You & I can basically thank our red hair and fair skin for our particlar type. I was just lucky enough at the time to be refered to one of the few surgeon's using MOS surgery and they were able to get it before it spread. I'm currently using Efidex cream as a follow up to my previous treatment. I have a week to go and it's quite unpleasent, I look like a spotted dog as it brings out all the sun spots and has high-lighted e few potentially nasty cancers on my forehead & nose. They tell me this cream should clean them up and prevent future trouble, hope their right.   Stay strong, I know you still have a fair amount to endure but the end result is all that counts. Regards Gaffo.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.