Head and neck cancer

Greeny
New Contributor

Head and neck cancer

Hi I’m 5 months post treatment for Base of tongue cancer that had spread to 3 lymph nodes in my right neck. I still have thick mucus, not much taste

( everything tastes terrible) I can’t eat bread, pastries or anything claggy without having water on hand. It feels like my throat hole has shrunk and most things get stuck and I feel like I’m choking. So eating is a struggle unless it’s soup or pasta with a lot of sauce on it. My neck is swollen and constantly sore and I have red spots on my chest and back the are constantly itchy should I be concerned about this. I haven’t been able to show my oncologist as all my appointments have been phone consultations and when I explain it I’m told it will go away but I’m worried it could be signs of lymphoma or something. I have had it for about 4-5 weeks now. Does anyone else have or had this after their treatment. I had the 7 weeks of radiation and 3 lots of cisplatin chemotherapy and yes I had every side effect listed to the extreme as my oncologist told me, I lost 26kg so by the end of my treatment I was very frail I only weighed 42kg and struggled to anything at all as I was always fatigued and weak I have put on 4kg and now weigh 46kg 5 months post treatment and things are starting to get better slowly. I would appreciate if anyone has any information for me about this that I can read 

5 REPLIES 5
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Head and neck cancer

@Greeny,

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer. I hope you are ok. Please seek help if you feel you need it.

There is a bunch of information over here

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/head-and-neck-cancer/

There is a thread on here that might helpful. There is a lot of information.

https://onlinecommunity.cancercouncil.com.au/t5/Treatments-and-side-effects/Your-experience-with-sid...

There's a head and neck support group (I've no idea how active this is)

https://onlinecommunity.cancercouncil.com.au/t5/Head-Neck-Cancer-Peer-Support/cmp-p/grouphub:headand...

I hope some of this helps.

-s

0 Kudos
torybarnard
New Contributor

This is such a heart-breaking news. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

0 Kudos
Greeny
New Contributor

Thank you! Things haven’t changed for me. Still not taste and I struggle to eat/swallow most foods. I’ve had a videofluroscopy done and it shows that the muscles in my neck and throat are damaged aswell as my soft pallet flap so when I swallowing anything at all some of it goes into my airway
0 Kudos
Newtocancer
Occasional Contributor

Hello Greeny,

So sorry to hear of your troubles. In terms of swallowing I have the same trouble as you do.

You may wish to ski for a barium swallow test. I had one done but they still can't work out why it is still happening. I asked the could it be due to chemo but she had no answers  for me. 

Nevertheless it might work for you.

In terms of the numbness in your arm, yes I have had that too, and it;s damn horrible.

You may wish to discuss this with your oncologist and see if there is a drug that is causing the problem that could be removed from your treatment.

Best wishes to you

0 Kudos
djs
Contributor

Hi Greeny, sorry to hear, I haven't been on here for awhile. But I'm not sure where you were treated? Don't listern to them when they say its all natural and it's just natural after chemo. Thats bullshit. 

I had a toumor a the base of my tounge removed, a toumor and right tonsil removed. I also had cancer in my right lymph nodes. 25 doese of radiation and 7 weeks of chemo. I got small blood clots from the chemo that went to my lungs and then into my heart. The base of both lungs collapsed, no follow ups as everything was just part of what happens and it will take 3-6 month's and I should be good.

I had my last treatment in September 2022, I'm still not working because I struggle to even have a shower without running out of breath. Don't just except it. Demand help. Make sure you get answers to all your problems and questions.

Dave

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.