Hi first time on site

Rodney
Contributor

Hi first time on site

Hi have been treated for head/neck cancer had a growth on my tongue which they surgically removed also had cancer in the voice box had 5 weeks of radiation therapy ten they where not sure all the cancer cells where zapped so had another ct scan and biopsy which showed negative but a lynth node has now swollen so have to have a needle point ultras sound biopsy next week , I am seeing dr again tomorrow .
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Hi first time on site

Hi Rodney ... Hopefully you will get your results sooner rather than later. The waiting part is the worse I always think. Were you sore after radiotherapy? I have been treated with a base of the tongue cancer with two lymph nodes involved. I finished treatment last year in November and am slowly recovering, although fatigue is a tough one for me to get over at the moment. Julie
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi Julie , I was sick as after radiotherapy they said when therapy stoped the two weeks where vital to keep up strength but they did not explain how sick I would get I had fever , could not eat and was throwing upmost of the time this lasted for five days , and yes I do get very tired so I understand where you are coming from. I also had those burn marks on neck where it had blistered but thankfully is okay now I did not realize sorbelene cream is so good. I was devastated when they found this swollen gland after treatment and they thought the radiation had not been successful but after the biopsy the throat seems clear so it's just another thing to deal with, but I am being positive as the dr's are not sure if the gland is a reaction to therapy or the cancer has moved that is why I need to have this ultrasound biopsy .
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Rodney Wow sounds like the radiotherapy really got to you. Hope you are feeling a bit better now. I suffered from open and weeping skin after I finished ... mine lasted over a 2 month period and I had the drug cetuximab which makes the skin more sensitive to radiotherapy. My skin is fine now although still quite dry and I have to make sure i regularly moisturize. I bet you were devastated re the new lump, lets hope it is from the treatment. I have some swelling on one side that they think is due to treatment. Soon I have to have a needle under ultrasound in my shoulder as I have managed to tear the rotor cuff tendon somehow and I suspect that all the chemo and radio I had have impacted on that. My muscles and joints are always very sore these days. Feel like I am very old sometimes. Maybe I am ... haha Julie
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi Julie , you and be both feel old at times but it's just the treatment mate and what we have been through, I find having a nana nap during the arvo seems to help .. Ha ha .. I am back at clinic today waiting to see doctor for check up with about 25 other people here, I bought an iPad to keep me busy during the waiting game, hope your shoulder turns fine you never really now the effect that the treatments may have, let me know how you get on . Rod
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Heya Rodney Good for you re nana napping 😄 I havent done much of that, but thats just me and the way i am trying to deal. I used to take my little laptop with me to clinic appointments, plus at one stage i had to drag around a nebuliser machine too. Would power up the neb and laptop and surf the net. That worked for me because i found reading difficult re concentration abilities and half the time i was soooooooooo tired i couldnt absorb anything. I am not having my needle thingy for a while ... there was a problem with one of the machines and the clinic were expanding so they are behind on appointments. Is ok because the problem isnt going anywhere and has even improved slightly with not using it as much. All the best for your appointment and hope you get the news you want! Julie
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi Julie Well seen all doctors today they are happy with the progress of throat say there is still some swelling and scarring but that's is to be expected so this is good news now all I have to do is get the biopsy on the gland which is Tuesday, I am going to try going back to work this monday as I have not been for about three months, although I have visited it's hard to explain to people what happened. Like the idea of laptop and surfing the net I can't get into heavy reading and I think I have read all the mags at the hospital. Have a great weekend mate ,,,
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya Rodney Good news on the throat! I get the scarring and swelling thing too, which is pretty normal for that sort of treatment. Radio is one that keeps giving for quite some time and I still experience changes in my mouth and I am approx 10 months post treatment. You have a great w/e also ... tis a long one here. :D Julie
0 Kudos
Rodney
Contributor

Hi Julie , Hope you are doing ok , well I went back to work yesterday although I am talking it slow it's all a bit strange, I had the ultra sound needle biopsy this afternoon on the lynth node , they took 4 samples so was four needles under the jaw it was ok except for the third one then it hurt but I'm not that good with yucky things. My radiation oncologist and surgeon are going to push for the results early so I go back and see them Friday hopefully all will be ok . Take care rod
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Rod Glad that test is over for you, it sounds horrid. Now you are in the difficult part and have to wait. Roll on Friday, I bet you want to get that over and done with. I admire you for getting back to work so soon after treatment. I am still really struggling with fatigue, although I have low iron levels at the moment aswell. Working on building those up and am starting to feel a little better. I am feeling heaps better in comparison to when i finished treatment, it is just taking a long time to get back to normalish. You take care too Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.