Lymph node involvement

bevvzy
Contributor

Lymph node involvement

Had mastectomy thurs 20th april for grade 3 idc. Was meant to have the mastectomy and sentinel node checked.  When i saw surgeon next morning i asked about the incision as it went much further under my armpit. He said that he ended up taking several as they looked suspicious?  Anyway thats not my real question. The physio gave me a booklet about arm care for the side that sone auxillary nodes were taken and i was stunned. It referred to LONG TERM care of the arm eg no blood tests, no blood pressure cuffs, avoud mosquito bites!!, use a thimble when sewing. Avoid dry skin in case ir cracks and creates an opening, dont wear tight bra straps and on and in. Surely this is overkill???

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Lymph node involvement

Hi @bevvzy, how are you feeling this morning?

I hope your recovery from the mastectomy is going well!

0 Kudos
bevvzy
Contributor

Hi kate 😊  slow and steady! Mainly slow lol. Whole chest is blisfully numb but arm giving me hell!! Like armpit is dead as but underside of arm is super hyper sensitive. Even clothing gently brushing it feels like fire.  Very weird

0 Kudos
Natalie76
Occasional Visitor

Hope you are recovering from your mastectomy and not in too much pain. As you have had your auxiliary nodes removed you are now at risk for a secondary condition called lymphoedema. Basically the lymphatic system in your arm and chest has been disrupted so the lymphatic fluid has no way to drain and builds up causing your arm to swell and become quite painful. It is a permanent condition so please read up on it and take whatever precautions you can. I now have lymphoedema from my auxiliary surgery. It is definitely not overkill

0 Kudos
bevvzy
Contributor

Thanks and will do! **bleep** arm is painful enough as is. Always on fire on the underside of upper arm ouchy

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.