New member saying hello

Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

New member saying hello

Hi. I am new here. I was diagnosed with ovarian cancer in August this year and would love to connect with anyone using this website. I am originally from the UK - we emigrated here 4 years ago - and although my hubby & son, friends, and colleagues here have all been terrific, I don't know anyone who has had a cancer experience to share the highs & lows with. It would be great to meet some like minded buddies in cyber space!.
0 Kudos
24 REPLIES 24
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: New member saying hello

Hi Tassie Devil Welcome to the site and I hope you get what you need out of it. 🙂 I am originally from the UK (many moons ago), ex Brightonian here. Have you finished treatment yet? Oh, incidentally we had some tassie devils that escaped a zoo about 50km up the road from me. They managed to recapture them all. It had me giggling a bit as they got two and one was still on the run. haha Alas, he got caught aswell and they are all back in the zoo. Julie
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie, Great to hear from you. We were living in Ely (Cambridgeshire)before coming down to Australia - love it here though. Probably been to Brighton only a couple of times. How long have you been in Oz?. I guess I am really at the beginning of my cancer journey. I have had one op - but when they opened me up the cancer was too big for a successful outcome so I've had to have 3 rounds of chemo before they will do the big op which is happening in about 2 weeks (probably a 9 hour job). Feeling a bit apprehensive about it but have a lot of faith in the surgeon. Found the chemo o.k. so far but each round is different so waiting to see what round 4 will bring. Loved your story about Tassie devils!. They are such lovely animals. Here in Tas if they are on the run it probably means they will be fighting the facial tumour disease. Well, gotta run to get tea sorted!. Bye for now. Caroline
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Caroline I have been here since 67 being a ten pound pom!! 🙂 I found chemo not too bad either. I hope that round 4 is as good to you as the others have been. Not uncommon these days to hear of people having chemo before operations to remove tumours. Sounds like a big sleep for you. I don't remember how long my op was for my first cancer. It was a fairly major one so I guess it took a while. Must try and find out. I did have a giggle at the escaping tassie devils as I had this image of these snarling furry things conspiring together to hide out before they got caught. I believe the facial tumours is a real problem and they have a breeding in captivity program to try and preserve the species. I could be remembering totally incorrectly though. Hope your dinner was ok I am avoiding doing that here and might try and talk my son into cooking something. Take care Julie
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

HI Tassie I am also from the UK arriving just over 3 years ago and I can say the cancer journey was not on my new life agenda. It sucks and I have to say I had chemo prior to my major op last Christmas and the outcome was very positive as there was no evidence of cancer in my esophagus or lymph nodes that were removed so it worked for me and hopefully it will for you to. I was on the table for 12 hours and then had to be rushed back down for a further 3 hours the following day due to my stomach not liking its move. It was all very daunting and I was working myself up about the whole situation but then I sat and looked at my husband who was very supportive and my adult daughters and realised I had the easy bit really,whilst they were all waiting for the phone call to say I was back from theatre and every minute seeming like an hour I was completely oblivious. IT is tough to get around mentally such major surgery but once it was over I had no option but to just work on getting better, which I have to say I am now. Having issues with my remaining ovary too as it was supposed to remain dormant after the chemo but has decided to grow something on it and cause me to bleed. So far all the tests are coming back negative for cancer so when they remove it in two weeks the result will be the same. Good luck and hope everything goes well for you and your family. Kasianne
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kasianne, So great to hear from you.Which part of the UK are you from?. Most of my family are in Hampshire (Andover) and Berkshire (Newbury). I know - Cancer was not what I expected in our new life down under, but then I thank my lucky stars that it has happened here and not back in the UK as the oncology services here in Tassie are fantastic & I have access to private health care here (which is affordable) which would not have been possible in the UK (totally unaffordable!). I know I am getting worked up about this operation and I also know it will be fine. I guess it is just the length of time that it is going to take & I suppose a fear that I am going to croak it on the table!. My hubby is a GP here and has been great taking on all the domestic stuff and keeping me on the straight & narrow re infection control etc so I don't want to burden him with my silly fears. He has enough on his plate with loads of very sick patients at work plus a bus man's holiday when he gets home!. I arranged him a boys night out tonight with 2 of his mates. Curry, beer and some male bonding is what he needs. He has tried to get out of it, but as social conventions dictate that he will look a right woos if he pulls out now, he has no option but to go!. It will do him good to try and chill out. I really hope that your remaining ovary does not turn out to be turning to the dark side !!. I have my fingers crossed for you. Thanks for replying to my posting. I hope we can keep in touch. Take care. Caroline
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Hi Julie, Great to hear from you. A ten pound pom eh??!!.You must be a true Aussie by now!. I have just become an Aussie citizen and just waiting for my Passport to turn up. Somehow it doesn't feel as though I am an Aussie until I get the Passport in my hand... still waiting but DFAT e-mailed yesterday to say it is on its way!. My 17 year old son has no clue about cooking - but likes to eat whatever is put in front of him!!. He is a good lad. Somehow he has managed to keep his studies going throughout the last couple of months when our lives turned upside down. He sits his first set of TCEs a week after my op so we are hoping that his good run continues and he is able to get the results he deserves. He wants to do medicine (like his Dad) so it is going to be a long, tough haul to get there. Going now to take my mad dog out for the first of his 3 walks of the day. We got him from the RSPCA a few years ago. He is soppy as but isn't too great with small white dogs which seem to send him into a frenzy!. Unfortunately every other dog around here is..you've guessed it... small and white!!. Oh well, keeps me on my toes. Hope we can stay in touch. Take care, Caroline
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

Hi Caroline I am from Hereford but was in the Army many moons ago and spent a lot of time at Andover and my husbands sister lives in near reading not to far from Newbury. MY husband was fantastic throughout the whole cancer thing, I couldnt eat or drink for a while and he was brilliant at the technical stuff around feeding tubes etc. I had to be fed over night for a period of time and even though I offered to sleep in another room with the machine making a click click noise all night he would not hear of it. Trying to get him to go out for a drink was a nightmare which I thought was ironic really as he would go to work all day but did not want to leave me to look after myself in the evening. I agree I am so glad this happened to me over here and not in the UK I dread to think of the outcome if I had been there, I used the public health system here on the reciprocal system and I cannot fault any of the care I have received even to this ovary thing going on now, which I am sure will be fine as all the indications are it will be and if not well off we go again. Too much to live for my daughter has just had baby so need to spoil her and any more that come my way. Your operation will be fine and I am sure you will be surprised how quick you recover and I know your fears about croaking it on the table but then I thought to myself I shouldn't worry about it as I wont know anything as I would already be asleep, it is those I leave behind I would felt sorry for. Hope all goes well Karen
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Caroline I am as fair dinkum as they get. hehe Roll on the arrival of your passport, I still operate under a UK one and have never been naturalised. In some ways I don't feel it is necessary as I have lived in Aus longer than I did in the UK. Of course the powers that be don't always see it the same way. It is normal to feel apprehensive before an operation. I felt that way and was just plain scared pretty much all the way through. Of course I had periods of normality to ensure my sanity remained somewhat intact. Good for your son for being able to keep his studies up. My son wasn't able to do that unfortunately. Perhaps your son will learn to cook a few things ... could be part of distraction therapy for him. Most kids eat what is put in front of them at that age and are often bottomless pits. I hope his exams go well for him and that he isnt too distracted. There are things that you can do if that does occur and we have a couple of teachers on here that could tell you about that. I hope your mad dog appreciated his walk! 🙂 I have a slightly eccentric smart lamb who can open fly wire doors. His name is Sid and he likes chocolate and he is a bit of a fatty poomba. In fact he just likes food fullstop! He plays footy quite well and can headbutt the ball with the best of them. Ok, I have a day off today and I should be doing things that are more productive like cleaning ... not sure I can get motivated but I should try. Talk to you later. Julie ps Hiya to Kasianne too .... you and Caroline have a lot in common being relatively new to aus ... 🙂
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Hi Karen, It really is such a small world isn't it?. I wonder how you found Andover when you used to go there - I spent most of my teenage years trying to get out of the place!!. How fantatsic that you have just become a Grandmother. You are so right - life is to be lived to the max. I hope you enjoy your beautiful new grand child. Feeling better about the Op. Seeing both the Oncologist & Gynae Oncologist next week so can ask any questions then plus it will be week 3 after chemo which is a week of almost normality for me!. Take care. Bye for now. Caroline
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.