New member saying hello

Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Re: New member saying hello

Hi Julie, Having a good day today and feeling better about the op which is good. My Taj (dog) would love to meet Sid as he is bonkers about playing with balls!!. Have covered things off with the Tasmanian Qualifications Authority to cover a situation of border-line exam results. Hopefully we won't need this help, but just in case things are now (hopefully) in place. To be honest at the moment I think a bigger distraction risk is his renewed interest in girls...well one in particular!. Just got to get him through November and then we can all relax!!. Hope your day off was not too filled with chores!!. Well, better go. Bye for now, Caroline
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Caroline GLad to hear you are feeling a little better about your surgery. It is always good I think to be able to share with others that are going through, or have gone through simliar experiences. Your dog sounds delightful and I am sure he and Sid would race to the ball quick smart. Sid's ball is not quite dog sized to grab but he might have fun trying to get it anyway. That might be a good thing that your son is somewhat distracted and hopefully a bit supported aswell. Good that you have sorted something out just in case things go skewiff a tad. Had a goodish day yesterday and today has been ok aswell. Think we might get some rain tomorrow so we are getting a lot of midgies at the mo. Julie
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

HI Caroline Andover - I can understand why you wanted out of there as there wasn't much there although most of my time was spent at the army depot there. My granddaughter is wonderful and I cannot wait to be more involved in her life, a little limited at the moment with my daughter breast feeding and all I end up with the calming a crying baby to sleep and the dirty nappies but all so worth it. I had a 4 week break between the end of mu chemo and my op but then I had a cycle of very strong chemo one week and two with continuous chemo 5 FU though a PICC line so it was 7 weeks form the last big hit of chemo. I was just starting to get my hair back looking really hot with a fluffy grey covering. I am in the tropics so I have to say I spent the hottest days of the summer, as reported to me, in hospital in free air con so it wasn't all bad it also encourages people to visit for a free cooling down hour. I don't envy you the operation at all but before you know it you will be on the better side of it. I am sure your son will be fine through it all form my experience he will focus on his exams as a distraction from confronting his feelings on what you are going through, these teenagers are tough cookies and find their own ways through these things. You concentrate on yourself and you will be fine, it is time to be a little bit selfish. All the best and my thoughts are with you Karen
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

Hi Caroline, welcome to the site. You may like to join the Gynocological Cancer Group. This is a group of members from this site that have all had some form of Gynocological cancer. We have a monthly online chat (the next one is set for 7pm on Monday 5th November) that is very informative and very friendly. If you woul like to join in, please apply to become a member, then join us on the 5th for our chat. Leah
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Hi Leah, Thanks for this. I have sent a membership request. Look forward to the on-line chat on the 5th. Caroline
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

See you there Tassie.
0 Kudos
luvmymum
Not applicable

Hi, this is scary for me. My mum has just been diagnosed with mediastinal adenocarcinoma secondary. The tumor is between her aorta and trachea and she has lost her voice.
0 Kudos
suzie_s
Occasional Contributor

Hi Tassie Devil (love your doggie icon!) I too am a ten pound pom - emigrated here with my parents in 1968 when I was 8 years old (I'm 52 now). I would just like to wish you all the best with your surgery, it will be the best sleep you've had in ages! (I can talk, I've only had a couple of 4 hour ops and I was stressed to the max!) It sounds like you have a very supportive family which can really make a difference. It's great you are a 'dog person'. We have 2 beagles named Nala and Belle, I couldn't be without them. Best of luck with everything. suzie
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Dear luvmymum, Your message really touched me - your log on name says it all and you clearly care very deeply for her. My heart goes out to you at what must be a very difficult time for you and your family especially as your Mum has lost her voice at the momemt. But remember a hug or touch is better than a thousand words!!. Your Mum knows that you love her and are there to support her. Being scared is completely normal and I wouldn't be surprised if you are also feeling as mad as hell too!. But yes, things are not going to be normal again and you and your family will be adapting to a new different "reality" than you had before you Mum's diagnosis. Once the shock of the initial diagnosis has receded a little, you will find that the treatments your Mum will have will give you all some structure to your lives, which will effect everyone. I think my hubby and son and my family overseas all found it very useful to have this as it really helps to have small milestones to work towards. Since our cancer journey started 4 months ago we have had 2 operations and 3 rounds of chemo with the 4th starting today. It is amazing how you get used to things. I don't know how old you are, but with my 17 yr old son (who dosen't say much at the best of times!!)we found that just being together walking the dog helped us to connect somehow. Sometimes we talk and sometimes we don't but just the togetherness gives us both comfort and is the most important thing. He has his TCE exams now and has found talking to his closest friends at school invalauble. One thing you can be sure of though, is that your Mum will want you to have your own space and not to feel guilty for wanting to have time out with your friends or just to be on your own if that helps. Your Mum will also be able to communicate with you what her needs are so take cues from Mum as to what she wants and how you can best support her - don't be afraid to ask her - she's your Mum and she loves you. My best wishes to your family and hugs to you as you start your journey. If you just need someone to vent to, please just vent away!!. I normally try to look at my emails daily subject to whether my PC wants to work or not and effects of chemo cycles!!. Take care. I have added you as a friend. Caroline x
0 Kudos
Tassie_Devil
Occasional Contributor

Hi Suzie, Great to hear from you. Thanks so much for your wishes. I came out of hospital this week having been there for 8 days. In fact things seem to have gone quite well. The operation was only for 4 hours in the end and the surgeons managed to remove all visible cancer - an amazing feat in its own right!!. So now it is back to the next round of chemo which starts today, 2 days after leaving hospital!. Ah well, at least the hospital sandwiches are palatable!. I love beagles Suzie - two of them how lovely. Our dog Taj keeps looking at me with loving eyes dying for me to take him walkies!. Sadly at this stage I can't so other family members are having to take him. Not quite the same but he will have to make do!. Well, better be off for round 4. Take care. Bye for now. Caroline
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.