Newbie NSCLC squamous cell T3N2

arnen
New Contributor

Newbie NSCLC squamous cell T3N2

Hi all Diagnosed Thursday August 20, radiotherapy started on the Monday. Located carina and right bronchus 4cm. Lymph submarines. No metastases. Radiotherapy has been great, right lung was threatening to collapse. Started to be able to breathe into right by 3rd morning. Towards end of second week and lungs really open. Feel 15 years younger. 56 now. I have to decide by Thursday late arvo whether to go with chemo or not. Cistplaten / etoposide concurrent with radiotherapy - anyone have any experience?? Not so concerned with how bad during. Mostly about how long after treatment till recovered. Self-employed and family / kids. Really concerned about hearing being affected. If I don't last all that long at least I would like a soundtrack. Cheers all
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
arnen
New Contributor

Re: Newbie NSCLC squamous cell T3N2

Gotta love spell checkers. Maybe I can get a periscope for my submarine lymphs.
0 Kudos
BMcD
New Contributor

I was diagnosed over Easter earlier this year - non small-cell lung cancer. I had 6 week combination of radiotherapy and chemo, and it took more than 6 weeks to recover during which time I could barely eat, but I did get back to work for two days a week and thought I was performing well. I was told this was the rest chance of cure if a long shot, but at the start of August they discovered a brain tumour and further brain lesions, and within a couple of days I had neurosurgery to remove the tumour. I've just started 2 weeks whole brain radiation, and then will see if the medical oncologists offer further chemo or other treatment. The fatigue is soul destroying.
0 Kudos
arnen
New Contributor

Bummer. Sad that its going that way. Doesn't really sound all that encouraging re the chemo. What chemo was used?? I've pretty much decided to skip the chemo. Cisplaten brings with it a chance of hearing damage and neuropathy. I've only just gotten on top of nearopathic pain - took 5yrs - and have permanant tinnitus. If I don't know that if the toxicity is bad that I want to spend whats left with nerve pain. More important to me, as I said to my partner, for the rest of the movie I want the soundtrack. Thanks very much for the reply and all the best.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.