Newly diagnosed kidney cancer.

dolly5550
Occasional Contributor

Newly diagnosed kidney cancer.

Hi my name is Judy. I have recently been diagnosed with Renal Cell Carcinoma and underwent a nephrectomy last week. I also had a metastatic neck lymph node removed. I am due to see an Oncologist neck week and am petrified that she is going to suggest Chemotherapy.All the research I have done on RCC indicates that chemotherapy and radiotherapy does not work, The preferred drug of choice appears to be Sutent. Does anyone else have any experience with Renal Cell Carcinoma and its treatment.
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Newly diagnosed kidney cancer.

Hi Judy welcome to the forums 🙂 ... apologies but i know nothing about kidney cancer but am sure you will get something out of this site. You could do some research with reputable websites before you go and see your oncologist. Search some of the cancer groups around also to see what others are doing and see what sits well with you and your situation. Good luck with your information gathering and sorry i cant help. Julie
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi Judy don't know a lot about RCC but I do know a few people who have had it. One in particular has been in for the long haul with Sutent and seems to be going OK. Some sort of special deal was done by his oncologist regarding the cost, but I don;t have any details. Cheers Sailor
0 Kudos
Barry
Not applicable

Last Friday my wife was diagnosed with a renal tumor (6cm) and secondary lung metastases. It was only by chance it was picked up as there were no real clinical symptoms, so we are lucky in one sense that it was picked up "early" although it is already stage IV. She is having a radical nephrectomy this Friday coming. It has all happened so suddenly, we are still adjusting. Talk about bad luck she found her mother dead the day before she was diagnosed. So not a good July. Anyway hope to see some responses from some of those that have been there and back. We are banking on the mTOR inhibiting drugs knocking the lung tumors out. We are realistic enough to realize we will be unlikely to get a cure, but may obtain a level of control and quality of life. Cheers
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Barry Wow you and your wife have been through a lot lately! In some ways once you get into treatment etc... it gets a little easier with cancer. I think it gives you a purpose and sense of actually doing something about the problem I do hope your wife's treatment goes as well as it possibly can. Julie
0 Kudos
tomabout
Not applicable

Hi Judy I think I am in a similar situation to yourself, diagnosed in June, nepherectomy in July and radiation to my hip in August. No doubt you are a little further along in your journey and a whole lot wiser for it. I started on the sunitinib last week and so far haven't noticed any effects from the drug either beneficially or with side affects. Maybe it's a little early to tell. If anything a tumour in my left scapula has become more painful. I would be keen to know how you are doing? well I hope. Cheers Tom
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.