Not As Bad...as I feared

Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Not As Bad...as I feared

Joe, Bugzapper...how are you doing?

Bugzapper
Occasional Contributor

Hiya... I'm loving your description of your journey.. So far the mouth soars are here and very painful... None down my throat though so I'll take that for as long as I can. Food is such a dissapointment.. Can't really taste much of anything. Which really sucks cus I love food. Would need to over salt but I've got high blood pressure now and they've told me to lay off.. Obviously. Those mornings are hard to deal with when the swelling in my mouth and the stringy stuff is impossible to navigate through before the Advil kicks in. I seem to be maintaining my weight.. Only about a pound a week is lost. I'll be half way through by this Friday and I'm in for chemo number two tommorow. 

So exciting to hear your so close to the finish line. Saw a woman today ring the big bell /gong thingy at the hospital today.. She was done her treatment and I just started crying.. So happy for her... Can't wait to be that girl

Bugzapper
Occasional Contributor

0 Kudos
Bugzapper
Occasional Contributor

Dear David... I guess we all breath the same air... But your decision-making seems to be beyond my reach. I hope for the best for you... Are there anymore answers your looking for from the doctors or has it all been pretty cut and dry? 

0 Kudos
Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Great to hear you're hanging in there!

My 4th to 5th week was the beginning of Hell Week for me so I hope it'll be different for you.

I found that Shrimp-the precooked and pre shelled kind, went down real easy with various sauces.  You know I'm a bit extreme, so I'd microwave the shrimp in lime juice and dip them in various garlic or other sauces depending on mood.  

I know that dairy goods are anathema to us Mucosa Downtrodden, but when the throat slashing was extreme for me, shakes were the only 300 plus calorie drinks I could stand.  My favorite is 6oz milk and 3 generous scoops of Blue Bell ice cream.

Once you get through this chemo and rad affair, you might want to check into using Apple Cider Vinegar to control your blood pressure.

My next battle is with Kidney Disease, which gives me high blood pressure.  I started using Apple Cider vinegar teaspoon twice a day and it helped crash my bp to levels that allowed me to pass my Trucking medical exam.  I swear by it.

I've got now two more Zap Sessions and one more Chemo.  Though my throat feels better I've been feeling more exhausted after each session.

I did begin to do situps, pushups, squats and half hour yard work...but still going easy.

I'll let you know how it goes.  But know that One Did Fly Over the intuber's Nest and so can you!

0 Kudos
Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Rang the Bell. 

Last day of Radio and I'm looking forwards to regaining use of my throat...or at least being pain free.

Like the Grateful Dead should have sung, "what a long, Painful Trip its been" (ok, ok they should have sung that...).

I am proud, and thankful, of having made it through without sticking a feed tube...but I'm sure it would have made the whole experience less painful.

One more chemo on Monday and then, hopefully,  this chapter will be closed.

Hell of a way to quit smoking!  And just think-all that money I'll be saving for the next few years will go to paying bills for Cancer Treatment.  Geez.😉

Find strength at the lowest times because this too shall pass.

Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Hey Bugzapper, how are you faring?   

Today is a week out from my last RadioZap (3 days out from last Chemo).

No real changes energywise and throat still delicate...mouth, for some reason (yah like eating Tortilla chips) once again sore.

Got a nice bottle of California Cavernet Sauvignon to celebrate but mouth & throat refused to join in...

Hope all's well.

We'll get through this.

0 Kudos
Bugzapper
Occasional Contributor

Well.. Just passed my half way piont.. Feeling good about that and the fact that I still have not had the GI placed!... On all accounts my team say I'm doing remarkably well... Lost a bit of weight between visits but the Dr's aren't too concerned because my energy is good and I'm no emaciated. I'm 6 feet tall and started out maybe with some "bonus weight" lol.. So if that's all I've lost then I'm still a head of the game. Food is such a bore.. Can't taste a thing and I'm desperate for flavour... Ears are ringing and some sounds can be overwhelming.. They say that's the chemo doing all it does to our bodies.

Overall I'm alright but getting tired of the daily grind. 

So huge congrats to you on the  completion of treatments... That wine will keep!... But I'm sure there's much more where that came from... Maybe visit the vineyard and stay overnight! 

0 Kudos
Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Hear Ye!  Hear Ye!

Glad to hear you're hanging in there.  I found that the herb Cilantro (its a Latin thing-wonder if you can get it down under...) Spices up lots of the old bland stand bys without salting.

Uh yeah I'll make sure I hit Napa Valley in California once i keep On Trucking!

Regards-  joe

0 Kudos
Bugzapper
Occasional Contributor

Plenty oh cilantro in Canada... That's where I am.. Funny, thought you were in Australia too... Lol. If you're in the states, Yes!!!.. Napa all the way.

Take care.. Keep on truckin

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.